Help! CO2 blasting out of saftey valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrewer

Reaction score
I've had a 4 tap kegerator setup for 2+ years and have never had this problem before (always a first). I recently ran out of gas a couple days ago and swapped the 20 gal tank with a new one. When I hooked it up to the regulator I can't seem to get the pressure to equalize to the 10/11 lbs I usually leave on the system. No matter how loose I make the screw in the middle it still hisses out of the safety valve (at least I think that the small hole to the right of the screw is the safety valve). I tried to close down the tank but that doesn't do it either.

If I close the cut-off switch going from the regulator to my distro block it hisses even louder out of the safety valve and the pressure creeps up to 30+ lbs.

What am I doing wrong? Did my regulator go bad? Is there something wrong with the new tank?

-Steve

Did you put the plastic/rubber washer back on the goes between the regulator and the tank?

yeah. I just unscrewed it and put it back on. I could see the gasket - no leaks where the neck meets the tank. I also closed down the distro block (valves going to each keg) and tried again... no dice.

I was able to unscrew the adjustment screw completely... and even with the tank off it shows about 10 lbs. maybe I have some kind of blockage?

This happened to me. I took the tank to a welding supply shop and they disassembled the set knob and cleaned it out with some air (like the canned air for cleaning circuit boards). After that it worked ok. I think there was some dust in the set knob assembly. If you try to do it yourself, be gentle, there is a very delicate diaphragm in there. It could also be that the diaphragm has been punctured. Good luck.

Sounds like you might... CO2 is going to your regulator and for whatever reason you max out at 10 psi going into the keg? Check all your holes from regulator to keg for a small blockage, other than that maybe the relief valve is stuck semi open

Turns out that the regulator has a bad diaphragm... I bought a new regulator, but would like to refurbish this one.

Unfortunately, it looks like TapRite (who bought NADS) no longer sells a repair kit for the 70012 model I have. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a repair kit for it?

Back