help before i start first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
hey guys im gonna be doing my first all grain beer later today, and i got beersmith, and this is what i came up with, could some one take a look at it and tell me what you think.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefeweizen
Brewer: Darryl
Asst Brewer:
Style: Altbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.82 L
Boil Size: 23.83 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (45 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min mash Add 12.00 L of water at 77.5 C 70.0 C
10 min Sparge 1 Add 17.60 L of water at 67.0 C 68.3 C

I'd throw a pound of rice hulls in with 7lbs Wheat malt to only 4lbs pilsner or your first brew day will be miserable I'm sure.

What is the mash temp your shooting for?

I would adjust the recipe so it's 50/50 wheat to pilsner.

Also, plan on a slightly lower efficiency. I get about 70% batch sparging. I know many people get higher but I think 70% is a typical number.

Make a starter for your yeast.

Make sure you ferment to as close to 62 as possible with that yeast. I just made one and followed Jamil's advice on that yeast and it is GLORIOUS!!

I have brewed that exact recipe twice but with wyeast 3068. That matches EdWort's Bavarian Hefe. Both times it came out great. I just ordered the wheat and pilsner to make it again, this time using wlp 300 or harvest the yeast from kelerweis. This time I am going to up the hops to 1 oz at 45 and .50 oz at 15. It is a good recipe!

Just a minor beersmith tip, you will want to change the style to whatever you are trying to make, that way it will show the appropriate color/alcohol/bitterness/etc. ranges for the style you are trying to brew.

Just a minor beersmith tip, you will want to change the style to whatever you are trying to make, that way it will show the appropriate color/alcohol/bitterness/etc. ranges for the style you are trying to brew.

yah i just noticed that, what a great program, i will definatly be buying it.

Have you received a report on your water? 3.9 SRM is very light, and if your water is at all hard, your mash pH will be high. For the most part, "if it tastes good you can use it", is true; but when making really light or really dark brews, I think it matters. 75% efficiency is pretty high for your first attempt. I'd use 65%, if you do better, you will simply have more beer.

Latest posts

Back