Hello / newb question on sanitizers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F250

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I've been lurking here for a few months and thought I introduce myself and ask a simple question or two if I may. The name is Rick from central Mizzou. :mug:

Now my question, is Crosby & Baker's B-Brite acceptable for final sanitation?

I ordered a starter kit off Amazon from Monster Brew, and in the discription it stated they'd be sending C-Brite as a sanitizer. Well, they sent B-Brite instead and I'm really not sure if this is good enough to keep me out of trouble.

TIA

Rick

Maby of us use PBW cleaner & starsan sanitizer. Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer. And different strengths of PBW can clean virtually anything.

I believe B-Brite is supposed to be a cleaner rather than a sanitizer although many people use it for both. Long term, I would switch to Star-San for sanitizing and Oxy-clean for cleaning, but used as directed, you'll be fine with B-Brite for this batch.

Replace the words "b-brite" with One step, and read what I say in this thread. It's OK, but there's so much better.

Excellent, thanks. :)

Since I'm waiting on a wort chiller and won't be doing my first batch till next week, I think I'll order some Starsan and call it good. Not much sense in worrying over something like this.

Also, has anyone brewed up Home Brewery's Oktoberfest? I bought the 5-gallon kit from them and it's going to be my first attempt.

Thanks again.

Rick

I used the one step that came with my kit for my first 3 batches, it is a sanitizer, but it does require at least 10 minutes or longer contact time and if you leave your gear soak overnight it will recrystallize all over everything.
I switched to Iodophor (when bottling) and Star-San (all other times) just for those reasons.

One-step only needs 30-60 seconds of contact time, not 10 minutes. Regardless Starsan is a better option overall.

One-step only needs 30-60 seconds of contact time, not 10 minutes. Regardless Starsan is a better option overall.

You are correct. I guess that is what I get from listening to other people and not researching it myself.

I used starsan for my first batch and thought it was simple... soak for 30-60 and be done w it. Wish I would have kept the left overs since it stors fairly well.

No worries! I used One-Step at first as well... it was an ok product. Starsan is more effective from both the cost perspective and usage. I use maybe .25G for my carboy, use a spray bottle for most everything else. Use so much less through the course of brewing! Also use a gallon of distilled water so it will keep for quite a while.

I have to get the spray bottle for the next one. Was a pain to keep it in an extra fermenter all morning!

Back