Hello from Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishcrazy06

Reaction score
Well I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I have my first batch in the fermenter now. I chose to do a Red Ale for my first time. I been reading the forums for a while now. I think the more I read the more confused I get. Not sure what is the "right" way and what is the "wrong" way or if there really is a right and wrong.

IF there is anywhere I could go to read a general "guideline" that would be great otherwise I will just slowly but surely start with all my questions which I am sure will get redundant to some of the "experts" here.

My equipment that I am first starting out with is a 5 gallon glass carboy, a bottling bucket, and thats about it. Anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me I am all ears and would love the help.

Thanks.
Eric

welcome. if you want guidelines, pick up the book "how to brew" by john palmer. we'll help you all we can here, so between us and the book (i'm still learning from it), you'll get there quicker

Hello from La Crosse! Agree with the book by John Palmer. Great book to learn from. I would add another bucket. "Ale Pale" It will help with primary fermentation. Gives you more room to work with than the glass carboy. (unless you have a blow off).

Thanks all for the welcomes. I am actually going to go pick up the How to Brew book today. I have The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing book now but its pretty dated I think from 1991.

As for the 5 gallon carboy as my fermenter I plan on using a blow off tube to start it out then go to an airlock after things settle down a bit.

Awesome to see all the people from Wisconsin on here. Hoping to hopefully find some from the Valley or Green Bay area.

Hello from Milwaukee!
And speaking of Green Bay/Valley, check out the Green Bay Rackers website too. Lots of helpful mash calculators, etc.

Hello from Verona, WI. +1 on Palmer's book. I'v read and re-read the book and still find extremely important info on this site.
By the way, I picked up lots of great brew day tips on here and even though I have brewed about a dozen times, I still feel like a n00b.
Welcome to the hobby.

what size is your brew kettle?
I would invest in either a 6.5 gal carboy or a 6 gallon bucket as a primary. Cleaning the dried krausen is much easier with a larger carboy, it is easier to soak and you don't have to scrub underneath the neck. Cleaning a bucket is even easier, just don't scratch the inside otherwise the scratch could harbor bacteria that can spoil your beer.

As of now my brew kettle is a turkey fryer setup. It works but doesn't give me much room need to watch it close so I don't boil it over. I am sure down the road I will invest in a bigger carboy just want to make sure its something I will do for the long haul

Gotcha! This hobby is addicting. If you are just experimenting with the hobby then what I would suggest is a 6.5 gal "Ale Pail" or bucket, it will be cheap and you won't have to worry about a blow off tube, just an airlock will due. Plus if you ever get a larger carboy you can use the bucket to store sanitizer solution. Watch out for the boil over if you don't already know, its a PITA! If you can make it work with the pot you have I would get the Ale Pail and then I would keep my eyes and ears open for a larger brew pot. If you don't already own an auto-siphon, I recommend one.
Good Luck!!

Greetings fishcrazy06, from just on the MI side of the river, up north of you. I'm in the Green Bay area once in a while, (probably will be this weekend to do some disc golf and a microbrew run at Woodmans, etc)

Welcome from Louisiana, the sister state of WI that no one realizes....hunting, fishing, outdoors, sausage, fish frys, lots of drinking....hell if it weren't for the climate difference you'd never know the difference, except of course THE PACKERS!!!! and the accents :)

orignally from Woodruff, long, long ago.....

Back