Hello from Upstate NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Brew

Reaction score
Hey there,

Another new guy here; had a little experience with extract brewing 5-6 years ago, and decided to give it a go again recently.

I live in an apartment, so I'm starting with small-batch brewing (2-2.5 Gal) to keep the space used in check. For now I'm planning to just use a Mr. Beer keg as my fermentor (with real ingredients) to make about 1 case at a time.

I hear there are 3 gallon Better Bottles (PET) out there, but I haven't been able to track an unported one down to use as a primary, which would be better than the MB keg.

I love wheat beer, particularly traditional bavarian hefeweizen, so that's going to be the first style I make an attempt at.

Welcome back to brewing and welcome to HBT!:mug:
Sounds like a good way for you to brew right now but we will get you into at least 5 gallon batches before you know it. :D

Welcome to the boards, where you at in NY? I'm just a little south of Albany myself. A few others from this area too. Chillhaze is down closer to the city.

Hi again,

I'm smack in the middle of the finger lakes, in Ithaca. Not sure how much homebrewing is going on around here, I haven't run into any local shops.

My mother-in-law lives in that general area, out in Bath. Lots of good wine in the area; last time we were visiting, the wife, her brother, and I pretended that we were grown-ups for an afternoon and did some wine tastings. Good times, spending too much money on booze.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Back