hello from the garden state!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this thread seems appropriate since I'm from this great state of New Jersey... I can't say that I have an Exit number, but then again, I'm from north Jersey so maybe that's why. At any rate, I've been watching and reading for some time now, so I figured...what the heck, why not join...so I did.

Hmm, two new Jersey boys join the ranks. I like to say that most NJ brewers are in the closet because every time I throw out a line for anyone to come check out The Whales homebrew club or to hang out for a group brew, I get very little interest. I suppose the hobby of homebrewing can be either social or antisocial.

IllusionOfTime said:
Well, this thread seems appropriate since I'm from this great state of New Jersey... I can't say that I have an Exit number, but then again, I'm from north Jersey so maybe that's why. At any rate, I've been watching and reading for some time now, so I figured...what the heck, why not join...so I did.

Where in Chester are you? I used to live on Fox Chase Road. Now I live 10 minutes from Bobby M, off exit 127 or 10 depending...

Well, since I have a moment here towards the end of my work day, and I never really formally introduced myself...

My name is Roland, and I am from the great garden state, New Jersey. I've lived here my entire life, and really have no plans to ever leave, aside from vacation and such. Anyway, I just recently brewed my first beer on Sunday, April 27th, and it is currently still in primary (until I get another SG reading tonight and hopefully move to secondary...mostly because I haven't gotten more bottles, so why not clarify right...?)

I can't say that it's my first try at fermenting, because I've been making a hard cider, very similar to EdWort's Apfelwein, for years now. It's kind of a family recipie and everyone in my family has made it through the generations and now I am carrying on the... I suppose we can call it tradition. I suppose that the major differences are that I press my own apples, and I've been using the same yeast that we just keep saving and cultivating for the last, however many years, so I really have no idea what it is, or where it came from. I just know that we all have it in our freezers.

Anywhoo...

I do most things involving alcohol, whether it be creating or consuming, with a good friend of mine, so being that it has recently gotten somewhat expensive, with the purchase of some new equipment and such for the purposes of brewing, having him as a contributor is essential. Although I feel like I probably could have converted a mini-fridge, I purchased something a little larger, which can accommodate some bottles as well...

kegcooler-1.jpg

Being that I have that spectacular item, and I happen to come across these little beauties I have every intention of kegging as much as I can. Just today, I went to my Local Home Brew Establishment (as local as it gets I suppose) and picked up some of those connectors so that I can get the beer out of those babies. I only have one connector for the CO2 inlet right now, and don't know what it's called so I'll have to investigate that so I can have possibly more than one at a time. I'm sure that I'll outgrow those little one gallon items extremely fast but at least it gives me the ability to start somewhere...

Soooooo...I'm stoked that I found this place because there seems to be a wealth of information here and look forward to brewing some of the recipes that you guys have tried and created. I am going to say that I doubt that I will make the jump to all grain, but that's why I'm just saying...not making any promises. I feel like for the time being the LME and DME recipes will be just fine for me...ha ha ha.

Hey I graduated from Mendham high, My dad owned the coffee shop on Perry street and the shop where Kc's coffee place used to be...

Mission accomplished.

I tried growing out a full beard for a while last year (see the youtube vid intros) and just when I decided to shave it all off, I played around with various designs. I'm particularly fond of the motorcycle cop job you see there, but I also like the handlebars after I axed the chops. Just wait until I use an animated GIF instead.

I'm new here too. I'm a little north of exit 172 on the GSP. AKA New York. Theres a nice HBS in Clifton off exit 157 that I frequent.

what LHBS in clifton do you go to? googled it and there looks to be 2 of them. I am 165 off the parkway and have just been ordering my stuff off the internet. Oh and welcome to HBT, I am also new, but this has to be the best resource on the web for homebrew and with some of the frendliest folks around. maybe cause everyone has a buzz going from the constant supply of homebrew!

Corrado's Wine and Beer making. 600 Getty Ave, Clifton NJ. Just take exit 157 and stay straight on Crooks ave for about a mile then make a left right after the train tracks into the Corrados parking lot. I get most of my stuff online too, but its definitely nice to be able to run out and get something in a pinch.

Hey from Lake Hopatcong. Originally from Staten Island.

I've been to Corrado's twice. The first time I got to chat with the owner, who was great. The second time there was just the girl there who knows less than zero about beer and equipment, and really didn't seem to want to do anything. They were also out of a lot of stuff I wanted like light DME, bottle rack, fermenting buckets without taps, and no-rinse sanitizer.

*shrug* So I'll go there if I need something in a hurry, but that's about it.

-Joe

New Jersey Homebrewers

Come on down!

I hope we see you!

Cheers!

:mug:

Tom

Location and hours of operation are below:

Rubino's Homemade Wine & Beer Supply
2919 Route 206
Columbus, NJ 08022
609-261-8420