Hello from Tampa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki4711

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am from Tampa FL and about to start brewing. I grew up in Cologne Germany so my beer taste has been greatly influenced by Kolsch and German/European beer. I have been doing a lot of reading and research online. That's how I found this forum. I have already found tons of good information here on getting started and what to avoid. I am looking forward to your advice and guidance as I embark on this new hobby.

Thanks All

Very nice how did you end up in Germany? Military?

I was a soldier in Augsburg, but an Army civilian in Bamberg. :D

I was scheduled to retire at the end of Jan, but work has been getting in the way (training replacements, etc.). Now I'm going to Korea for a couple of weeks on 9 Jan. Retirement has been pushed back to around 31 March now...giving me over 36 years Army and Federal service. :rockin:

Thanks for your service. At least retirement is right around the corner. Then you'll have all the time in the word.

Thanks for your service. At least retirement is right around the corner. Then you'll have all the time in the word.
...and it all belongs to the wife...:D

Right now, I am still trying to plan a vacation...too many choices and I've been to some of them already.

Australia was our (my) first choice...wife says she wants to hit a beach within 5 hours air time, not 24 hours on a plane...etc...

I sympathize because I'm going back to Korea next weekend.

Thinking the Caribbean (again...5-6th time aready...)...Belize, Costa Rica, Puerto Vallarta? Virgin Islands are too overpriced and I don't want to be around ignorant Americans...

lol. The wife is always right. The Caribbean is always nice and relaxing.

I hear you. But in the past 5 years we've redone every room in the house.

I tiled the basement, new siding, new roof, new fence, wainscoating, crown molding, laminate flooring, carpetting, landscaped, gardening, etc.

Even traveling 15-23 weeks every year I still managed to brew almost every weekend (I was home) and paid the house off in 2 years and 3 months (over 3 years ago)...I NEED A VACATION!!!! :mug:

Welcome! :) Are you German or just grew up while parents lived there?

My great grandfather was full German, but he moved to Transylvania, after WWII half my family moved back to Germany, half stayed in Romania till communism fell. Some moved back to Germany, some stayed in Romania, some moved to America. I'm descended from the part that moved to America. They are not 1st relatives but I still stay in contact with them.

Very cool. I'm going back to Cologne in May for a month. Haven't been in a few years. I'm ready to drink some good Kolsch!!!

Back