Hello from Tacoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE7XQ

Reaction score
I just got started about three and half weeks ago. My wife bought me a "Mr. Beer" kit. I have one batch now being carbonated (in the provided plastic bottles), and another batch currently in the fermenter. I know that some purists may say that a "Mr. Beer" kit is not true homebrewing, and I understand. However, this is a good way to get started without a lot of expense. I have been to the local homebrewing supply, and their kit is about $125 for something that looks like it came from the local hardware store. Eventually I may upgrade, but I will probably buy the individual parts myself (and likely from the local hardware store), and thus save myself some money. Right now, I am just getting started, and this is as a good a start as any.

Welcome!

Like DromJohn said, if you brew it at home then it's homebrewing.

You'll find that a lot of people here started with a Mr. Beer kit and then moved on to something different, me included.

Thanks for the feedback. Incidentally, I had ordered some hops seeds, which just arrived today. The bag reads "common hops". I am hoping to cultivate something good with them.

Though it may look funny, here is a picture of one of the Czech Pilsners I made with the kit. It got a bit more carbonated than I wanted, and took a good ten minutes to bleed off enough pressure to open it without making a huge mess. I decided that the best picture to go with it was that of tater tots.

snacktime.jpg

If you want to meet up with other Tacoma homebrewers, Homebrewers of Puget Sound meets the second Saturday of the month from 4:30 to 6:30 at Gig Harbor Brewing at 3120 S Tacoma Way. This Saturday (the 11th) we're meeting briefly and then pooling over to Fox Island to meet with the brewer at Fox Island Brewing.

If you want to meet up with other Tacoma homebrewers, Homebrewers of Puget Sound meets the second Saturday of the month from 4:30 to 6:30 at Gig Harbor Brewing at 3120 S Tacoma Way. This Saturday (the 11th) we're meeting briefly and then pooling over to Fox Island to meet with the brewer at Fox Island Brewing.

This Saturday was no good because I was volunteering at the Mike and Key Radio Club flea market. However, I will try to come next month.

Latest posts

Back