Hello from SoCal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraut

Reaction score
I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now, after my friends in NV and WA got me interested in brewing. I also figured the membership is already worth it, just because the entertainment I got from the non-pay forums is already 50+ hours, and am looking forward to what I can discover in the 'premium support' forums.
I finally made the leap when NB had the $60 starter kit special. And brewed my first batch. It's still sitting the primary and waiting to be bottled this weekend. Also I am trying to jump right into AG brewing, which may be insane but this site has so much information that I just can't wait to get started. Waiting for deliveries as I type.
All I got to say brewing is not an inexpensive hobby, but seems definitely worth it. My SWMBO is totally ok with me spending time brewing (probably because it's better than me going to the bar). I am wondering if she will still feel the same way when I start getting the stuff together for a keezer/Jester clone. Prost!
:mug:

Welcome, and enjoy the hobby. I have a suggestion for you - check out Maltose Falcons at the Home Wine Beer and Cheese shop in Woodland Hills. They are a great wealth of information, and one of the oldest homebrew clubs in existence (I think THE oldest?).

I will . I actually got my bottles for my first batch there. The whole place was a bit intimidating for a noob. Stuff all over the place, people measuring things, items that I have no clue what they are for (beer, chees or wine).

Hey I'm Tom and have just moved back to Pasadena. I just finished up school in St. Louis and started getting into home brew when I got back. Everything on this site has been really helpful and like Kraut I want to try and make the jump into all grain sooner rather than later. Im excited!

Awesome to see that there are actually a few brewers in my neck of the woods. I was afraid that the Los Angeles area wouldn't have much of that going on.

Im glad too. What do you have fermenting now? Im really looking forward to being able to crack open that first bottle of home brew.

I have some American Wheat Ale right now. And I'm planning an AG in the next couple of weeks. Probably a Saison.

Welcome kraut,

Welcome and congrats on your 1st brew. I started in October and tried my first bottle on Xmas. Its now been about 8months and i'm a brewing addict.
I just recently started ALL grain using the "BIAB" method. Its just as simple as extract brewing, but takes an additional 2-2.5 hours of time..
But BIAB (Brew in a Bag) is a great starting All Grain method before you invest a lot of money into it.

Too late. I am already knee deep in stuff :D I have the grains, yeast, etc. . And I just converted a cooler to an MLT and a freezer into a fermentation chamber. All I need is time to brew. But in the meantime I am enjoying putting the whole equipment together, and playing around with recipe programs. I wish they would have used "making beer" a topic in chemistry... I probably read more about ph, sulfates, chlorides, proteins, sugars, etc in the past month than I ever have in school.

Latest posts

Back