Hello from Rio de Janeiro (by way of Columbus, Ohio)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
Hello all.

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not taking the time to formally thank all the people who have taken the time and effort to post invaluable information on this site. I've fooled around with cars, electronics, etc. and I'm really surprised in comparison to other forums I've been on how helpful, positive and non-judgmental everybody is around here. That being said, please excuse me for my noob-ishness, and again, thanks a lot everyone.

I started getting interested in homebrew maybe like 3 or 4 years ago. I friend of mine from Boston is into to it and I stayed out there for a weekend and he told me all about it and gave me a 5 gallon carboy on the basis I promised to start brewing. Unfortunately, I never did get to use it. I did buy a 1 gallon kit from Midwest and did a extract brew, white house honey wheat, and it turned out pretty decent.

Long story short, I'm living in Brazil now, and I got a good friend of mine into homebrew here. So far I've done a honey wheat ale (that turned out a honey wheat IPA:smack: see link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cachaca-honey-wheat-ipa-488384/), a Strong Scottish ale (good), an american pale ale (good), a few ciders (currently bottle conditioning), and a couple lagers (still lagering).

In the process of learning about and making beer here, I can't help but realize the huge opportunity for brewing craft beer on a commercial scale here. Brazil has caught the craft brew bug and it's really getting popular. That combined with the Olympics coming here in 2016 makes me think it might be worth trying to invest in this. I don't think by any means this would be an overnight thing, but realistically, over about a year or so, any suggestions on what I should do to start a brewry here? I mean in terms training/schooling. Aside from the financial/legal side of it, I have limited experience and knowledge. In the states I was a mech. engineer and here I teach English. Do most people that go from homebrewing to commercial brewing get a degree along the way? Again thanks.

There are some threads here on HBT about people opening breweries and what it takes and what they go through. There are brewing programs here in the states but not sure about Rio. It definitely takes a lot of cash/knowledge/love of brewing to get started.

Back