Hello from pennsylvania!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floralfallon

Reaction score
Hey all, judging by my name you should guess im very mutch into making floral wines and meads, im half way into a gallon of mint wine, beginning marigold ginger, and have frozen white,and purple clover and bee balm for a wild clover bee balm mead. Currently working on a wineberrie gallon aswell, and in fall will be doing pumpkin, possably green tomatoe too if this rain dosnt let up and stop destroying my tomatoe crop with early blight. If anyone knows any ediable wild plants in pennsylvania im the girl to tell! Im excited to get into making bigger batches at home and cant wait to see all of the new exciting things home brew has to offer :) View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436377230.729959.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436377250.116244.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436377279.946134.jpg

Hello ! I just started a raspberry wine with all my wild wine berries that grow all over my property here in Pa... I do know a fair amount about edible plants here .. That being said here's a little list:

Wild fruits --
Raspberries , grapes, strawberries, and (cooked) elderberries.. Which are my favorite. I actually used to batter fry and eat whole elderberry flowers with some of the stalk too when I was a kid.. Tastes like funnel cake :D also you can do the same with Day lilies

Not sure how interested you are in wild nuts but here is some anyway--
Beach, chestnut, and chinquapin can all be roasted and eaten

Here's some other stuff:

-Red and white clover, reds should be soaked and boiled at least 10 minutes.. And whites can be eaten straight up before the flowers bloom
-water lilly can all be cooked and eaten
-field mustard, you can eat any part of this plant and it is delicious
-burdock - you can eat young leaves, pith, and inner roots (boil first)
- fiddleheads (as is or boiled)

And of course ... mushrooms ! I don't know how to identify too many edible ones but they are certainly all over this wonderful PA landscape !

Hope that helps or is worth some bit of value to you !

-cheers

Back