Hello from Ontario, Canada!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cilairus

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and have been brewing for 8 months.

My favorite brew is called Hockey Sauce. It's an oatmeal stout I like to have when watching the game. :mug:

I'm in a brewing club too and this is my first time to get apple cider. It's made of Nothern Spy apples. I've got a couple of recipes.

2.5 gallons of apple cider
Champagne yeast
2.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp Pectin enzyme
1/2 Campden tablet

I'm hoping for a dry hard apple cider. Can this kind of hard cider be bottled?

The other recipe is the same except I want to use English Cider yeast and a couple of sticks of cinnamon.

Should I use 1 or 2 sticks of cinnamon?

*I'm changing the yeast to Nottingham yeast instead. I heard it makes a pleasant hard apple cider.

Welcome to HBT.

Yes, you can bottle your cider. Some people like their hard cider still (flat). If that's what you are looking for simply bottle it when you think it is ready. Most people like it with a bit of fizz (Co2). If that's what you are after, you need to prime it with some sugar just like you would prime beer before bottling. For a 2.5gallon batch I'd add 50 to 75gms of sugr. However, it is best to consult a priming calculator to determine exactly how much you want to add.

Best of luck.

Welcome to HBT.

Yes, you can bottle your cider. Some people like their hard cider still (flat). If that's what you are looking for simply bottle it when you think it is ready. Most people like it with a bit of fizz (Co2). If that's what you are after, you need to prime it with some sugar just like you would prime beer before bottling. For a 2.5gallon batch I'd add 50 to 75gms of sugr. However, it is best to consult a priming calculator to determine exactly how much you want to add.

Best of luck.

I would like it to be carbonated. Thanks for the information!:)

Welcome!

Is Hockey Sauce a homebrew? If so, I'd love to see the recipe. Love the name! lol

:)This is the Hockey Sauce recipe also known as Oatmeal Stout.

1 Campden Tablet
7 lbs Marris Otter
.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Victory
.5 lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Crystal 60
.5 lbs Crystal 120
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 tsp Irish Moss

Mashin was 156F. 2oz of Willamette hops went in at 60 mins of mashin. Sparged at 170F. Used a wort chiller to 64F then pitched S04 yeast.

Looks similar to Yooper's Oatmeal Stout from this forum. I'm making that one for the first time this weekend. :mug:

I got the recipe from a notebook. Yes, I heard it was inspired by Yooper. I bottled mine with a new bottle capper from the local supplier. There were two eruptions out of the whole 5-gallon batch. Also, a new batch has been made with 4.4oz of sugar when bottled for carbonation.

My #3 cider is doing well. It is yellow in the jug. I might have to put it in a secondary soon. My #4 cider is fermenting with Wyeast cider yeast. It is a totally different yeast than White Labs English Cider yeast.

Back