Hello, from northern Alberta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatelliteGuy

Reaction score
Hi all. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm originally from New Brunswick, Canada, but at the moment, I'm living in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I'm not brewing at the moment, but I'm hoping to get an equipment kit soon, and get started. About ten years ago, I had dabbled a tiny bit in brewing, but for diverse and complicated reasons I won't get into, I was no longer able to continue.
Back then, I had done two batches that I had completed, and one that got tipped/ruined.
First one was an amber using two cans of amber LME; was okay, but not the best.
Second was an amber using 2 cans (same as first, iirc) plus steeping some grains. marked improvement, but could do better.
Tipped one, I had tried a recipe someone said would e similar to a Clancy's Amber, using 2 cans of extract plus steeped grains, but it seemed to be turning out more like a porter; it was black. I bet it would've been awesome, but it got tipped over and contaminated (don't remember how exactly, but I remember seeing non-beer-like floaty thingies in it, when I righted the carboy; it was plastic, so it didn't break, fortunately.)

Anyways, I'm hoping to get started sometime this winter or spring, when funds allow, and pick up at the extract+steeping level of difficulty, for a few brews. That way, I don't need to buy a 6gal pot right away, and can get away with getting a 20qt.pot. (I saw, at Superstore, that they carry a 20qt. for about $20-30, iirc, but they were out when I was there)

There's only one LHBS in the area, and Im hoping to go in there to browse this afternoon, and see what they have to offer.

Anyways, this is me. :mug:

Welcome aboard. I bought one of those pots from Superstore, good for a partial boil. I ended up going to a surplus store and getting a 40qt to do full boils wasn't much more money $40 if I recall. However the big pot requires a propane burner, $100. Well worth the money IMO.
Don't freeze to death up there over the next few weeks, mind you, you lived through that snap in December.
Happy brewing.

As I type this, my WeatherEye is telling me it's -27C. By this weekend, it's supposed to go up to 0C (yeah, right; as if!)
Of course, Tomorrow morning, I'm starting a new (outdoor) job, and we're getting in the minus 20's for a couple days yet...

Oh well, it means money coming into the household, and eventually into brewing equipment.

As I type this, my WeatherEye is telling me it's -27C.
I lived near Hay River NWT in the 70's and we used to get the tail end of Chinooks around this time of year. It could warm up to 0C for you, but of course it won't last long.

Back