Hello From Lower Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampfoot

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
This is a neat forum and looks like a great place to share ideas. I have been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself. I live way out in the country in southeast Alabama. I have been homebrewing since 1992 and average about 3 or 4 batches a year. If you live in the deep south and want a tasty brew you best make it yourself because if it isn't Bud or Miller it is hard to find. I get all my ingredients and supplies mail-order from Alternative Beverage in Charlotte. I got my first kit from them in '92 and they are a great company. No vested interest on my part, I just think they are good people...

Right now I have an australian lager in the secondary and it is going in the keg tonight (the way things are looking this weekend I may name it "Hurricane Lager"). I also make wine. We have five gallons of peach in the secondary and one gallon of blackberry in the primary. It takes a lot of blackberries to make a gallon of wine but it will be worth it in about six months or so.

I have been brewing for a while but have never made the leap to all-grain. I use DME exclusively but one day soon I might try mashing, I just never get the color I am looking for. The flavor is great but my beers always turn out a little too dark.

Anyway, relax and have a homebrew.

Welcome swampfoot. I'm a relative newb; been brewing since Dec 04 but I practically live here and have learned so much because of it. It'd be more appropriate to call myself a senior apprentice now with all the knowledge absorbed from this site.

I just switched to AG and did my 1st batch last weekend. Takes more time (add 2-3h) but really is cheaper if you exclude the extra toys you got to buy. Between slurry yeast saving and all grain, what used to cost me 30+ now is in the $14-18 range. It's pretty cool; give it a go someday.

Again, welcome and you certainly will have knowledge to share with us. Oh yea, button down the hatches!

Howdy Swampfoot, glad to have you here. I used to make wine too. That's how I actually got started . I fermented just about everything in the forest until I found beer. I went through all the stages and ended up in AG land. Just love it here too.:D

Did you know about Free the hops?
Im a North AL homebrewer myself, still extract with special grains.
Rock on!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back