Hello from Honolulu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hello!
I am back. It has been 2 years since i have brewed. I joined up here 3 years ago, brewed for only one year. I signed up while living in Phoenix, hence my user name. But have been moving around a lot.

Just moved from Alaska, to Hawaii. It was hard to brew in Alaska since i was in a remote area and the shipping was high. But now that i am in Honolulu, and do not wish to ever leave, i am excited to start back up again.

If anybody lives here, and can fill me in as to any local homebrew stores, that would be great. Am i better off buying all my equipment and kits here? Or better ordering online? Will basically just brew from kits.

Just wanted to say Hello and that i have missed this place. And any help will be appreciated. I am sure i will have questions in the near future too. Mahalo!

I don't know if Hawaii Style Homebrew is still in business. It was a few years ago when I was there, but there were rumors it was going out. It wasn't much of a store, but it was all there was to work with.

There was a place on the Big Island that sold homebrew supplies as well and would ship to the other islands, but I never dealt with them.

If ordering from the online retailers, consider going with plastic (pails or better bottles) for your kit and save a bunch on shipping. There was a local club out there as well (again, no personal experience) and they might be able to help you out finding the best deals.

Good Luck and welcome to HBT.

I just found out today I'll be headed to Hawaii in Jan. I guess I'll probably leave my brew stand, keggles, etc. with some friends here and brew low-tech while I'm there.

Any news on the HBS there?

Bump. All the Hawaii brewers bumming at the beach right now? :D

You could always look up the listing for Hawaii Style Homebrew and see if they are still around. If it's the same as it was a couple years back, it's mostly an extract with specialty grains set-up. I never had good luck with their liquid extract, probably because it's stored at air temperature (80 degrees). They did carry DME as well.

I just found out today I'll be headed to Hawaii in Jan. I guess I'll probably leave my brew stand, keggles, etc. with some friends here and brew low-tech while I'm there.

Any news on the HBS there?

There is one store here i heard about, the major one. Their website did not work, and it took a couple days of calling to get a person to answer the phone. They have no kits there he told me, everything is made from recipies on the spot. And the only start up brewing kit was way too much for me to consider. But i am moving back to Phoenix in less than 2 weeks now. If you want to brew low tech for a while, may i suggest Mr. Beer? You can join their brew club and only pay $5 shipping to Hawaii. If you buy supplies online from Midwest or Austin etc., the shipping is going to be high. When i was home brewing, i still used my Mr. Beer kegs to make small batches to experiment with, or used them for cider. Good Luck.

How long are you going to be over in Hawaii?

Any chance of filling a couple suitcases with two row? :)

I am starting back also after a long layoff. Hawaiian Style Homebrew is gone. The local shop now is Homebrew in Paradise located on Kilihau st. in mapunapuna. He has the stuff you need grains, hops, yeast and extracts plus some equipment. I was in there last week to check it out. Not a whole lot of selection but enough to brew the styles you want. I am looking for some brewing kettles again as all my previous equipment is no longer on the Island.

Good luck and welcome to the Islands.

Ron

Back