Hello from England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgo

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am 7 days into the primary fermentation of my first kit, a May & Brett's Blue Boar Brown Ale. I tried some that my cousin had brewed and was won over and bought all the stuff the next day.

I am doing the thing that all noobs do apparently and worrying too much about spoiling it and that's how I found this site. It a mine full of information and I am starting to understand what I am doing and why.

I have had two very reassuring responses to my post so far, thanks to all

Burgo

Welcome aboard!

I'm not familiar with May & Brett's, what kind of kit is it? All extract, or some steeped grains?

Hi, May & Brett's is a hopped malt extract kit. They produce kits from the old and now defunct Dunmow Brewery in Essex, England.

I tried some the other day, it was really nice and started me on the road to home brewing. I am planning to try their stout as well at some point in the future :mug:

I have been looking around this site for about a week. its fantastic. So much learnt.
I only found one other Brit so far but there is a Brit group (with 9 members) which I joined. Theres a guy called Humbug from Cheshire. The group doesn't seem very active.

If you are buying homebrew stuff in UK I might be able to help with hop exchanges. I'm buying Hops in 5Kg quantities from a brewery merchant but cant afford to buy that many 5kg 'bricks' and I wont use them quick enough but the cost is a fraction per kg of buying it in 100g pouches from homebrew shops. If others bought other hops we could exchange and save a lot of money? email me direct if you are interested or perhaps we should discuss in the Brit group?

Hi Burgo,
Welcome. I'm married to a Brit, though we live in Oregon, US.
Family in Preston, Reading and London.
As a result, I have acquired a taste for and end up brewing a lot of Bitter.

Have been hearing of the demise of many neighborhood pubs as a result of the economy.
The government should forget the banks and should subsidize Pubs as a result of them being more valuable institutions. Close #10 Downing street, Get rid of the Monarchy, Board up the Tower,
but for the sake of England....PRESERVE HER PUBS!

Hi Burgo,
Welcome. I'm married to a Brit, though we live in Oregon, US.
Family in Preston, Reading and London.
As a result, I have acquired a taste for and end up brewing a lot of Bitter.

Have been hearing of the demise of many neighborhood pubs as a result of the economy.
The government should forget the banks and should subsidize Pubs as a result of them being more valuable institutions. Close #10 Downing street, Get rid of the Monarchy, Board up the Tower,
but for the sake of England....PRESERVE HER PUBS!

Hear hear,

We have an extraordinary community pub near us, it usually has 10 rela ales on, it had one beer on the other night!

Its very sad, it wont be open in a few months for sure, a marvellous place, the publicans are stars but ground down by the big brewery who own it trying to squeeze every last greedy penny and the credit crunch. The brewery dont care about the pub as the building is worth a fortune as housing.

We also have a local pub, my local, wonderful atmosphere I have fears that that won't be around much longer, keep trying to patronise it to help keep it going ;-)

It's bad times at the moment.

Latest posts

Back