Hello from Boston with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just moved to Boston from Vermont and brought with me a brew kit as a present. I brewed my first beer, a traditional bitter, a few weeks ago and have it bottle conditioning right now. I also have an imperial IPA that is in primary that I will move to secondary on saturday and attempt to dry hop for the first time. Anyone have any pointers? I'm confused as to why this is ok without the hops being sanitized in a boil.

The consensus is just that adding hops simply doesn't cause infections. I guess the acidity of the hops is really hostile to bacteria, which means the hops can actually act as a preservative as well.

is that a pain to use a bag with a carboy? i figure its tough to get it in and especially back out

is that a pain to use a bag with a carboy? i figure its tough to get it in and especially back out

Usually you can just turn the carboy over after you have bottled and then just fish out the bag with your fingers if they are long enough, or you can just make a hook out of a wire hanger and it'll be even easier.

Another welcome from Boston. Seeing as how you are in the area might I just pitch joining our local homebrew club the worts. The website is The Boston Wort Processors and we have meetings every month where we sample eachother's beer and talk about beer etc.

Latest posts

Back