Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skou

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a Hefe, similar to
what Jeffy Haines did at Brewer's
connection. (Note, if Jeffy was on fire,
I wouldn't throw water at him!)

7 pounds Briess wheat DME.
1/4 pound of 40L crystal.
1/4 pound of caramel wheat.
Safale yeast WB 06.

Is this a decent recipe, or not.
I'll keep the ferment temps below
70 degrees F, to try to get more
clove, and less banana flavors.

steve

Safale yeast WB 06.

steve
I'm not a big fan of wb-06. WLP300 is a much better choice. Ferment at 62 for more clove, less banana.

Are the grains OK in this recipe? I am NOT
striving for an "IPA" styled beer. I'd like some
residual sweetness.

Oh, forgot. 1 ounce Hallertau hops.
I may throw another ounce in, at 5
minutes before the end.

I'm also thinking about boiling 2 pounds
of DME, for the 60 minutes, and adding
the rest, with the last hops.

steve

Typically you would do a bittering addition of noble hops at 60m and leave it at that. I've never tried late hop additions in a hefe so can't comment, other than this is not typical.
For the grains, I add 3% of melanoidian malt for flavour and 0.5% carafa special 2 for colour. Some people add crystal, and have success. 1/2 lb would be about 5% of the grain bill, that would be as high as you would want to go. With DME you can't control the mash temp so a bit of crystal makes sense if you like it a bit sweeter.
Your plan on adding the DME sounds fine. This is a good idea if you are doing a partial boil, I just add all my extract at the start if doing a full boil.

Not to hijack your thread but I'm planning the same thing today so I'm interested in the technique around this so it would be good to share some stories on this kind of brew. I have a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME that was gifted to me that I had planned to use as the base and then partial mash with some additional wheat and other grains. The issue I've read about is that extract will darken your hefe quite a bit (LME more than DME, but both quite a bit more than grains alone). I don't mind a little extra color, a nice yellowy orange would be just fine but I don't want to go much darker than that. I have Rahr White Wheat, beligian pils, 2 row pale and flaked wheat on hand but not sure what proportions I should be targeting to get to where I want to be?

Safale yeast WB 06.

WB-06 is garbage. Use WLP380. Get the Crystal 40 out of there. Then that will turn out pretty good.

Not to hijack your thread but I'm planning the same thing today so I'm interested in the technique around this so it would be good to share some stories on this kind of brew. I have a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME that was gifted to me that I had planned to use as the base and then partial mash with some additional wheat and other grains. The issue I've read about is that extract will darken your hefe quite a bit (LME more than DME, but both quite a bit more than grains alone). I don't mind a little extra color, a nice yellowy orange would be just fine but I don't want to go much darker than that. I have Rahr White Wheat, beligian pils, 2 row pale and flaked wheat on hand but not sure what proportions I should be targeting to get to where I want to be?

Briess Bavarian Wheat LME is 65/35 wheat to barley by percentage. If you pull up the .PDF on their website you will get the data sheet.
If you do a German style brew, the generally accepted wheat level is typically 50% or more. An American style brew will be a minimum of 20% wheat in the mix and American bittering hops. I would advise using Brewers Friend online (free) to access the brew calculator and adjust your percentages to your preferences.

Safale yeast WB 06.

WB-06 is not a hefe yeast, it's a member of the saison family that likely originated with Duvel or thereabouts.

If you're confined to dry yeasts, then your best bet is Lallemand/Danstar Munich Classic (not the same as their "ordinary" Munich) but it has to be said that it's the area where dry yeasts are probably weakest.

WB-06 is not a hefe yeast, it's a member of the saison family that likely originated with Duvel or thereabouts.

If you're confined to dry yeasts, then your best bet is Lallemand/Danstar Munich Classic (not the same as their "ordinary" Munich) but it has to be said that it's the area where dry yeasts are probably weakest.

Northern Brewer listed it as a "hefe" style, and claimed the
banana/clove aromas.

I did use it, and the beer came out as expected, except the
banana was quite prominent. I was trying for clove.

I will try the White labs 300, or the Wyeast strain, on the
next batch.

steve

Northern Brewer listed it as a "hefe" style, and claimed thebanana/clove aromas.

It's one of those yeasts that people didn't quite know where to place, but recent DNA sequencing has confirmed that it's related to the (alleged) Duvel yeasts. Which have a lot in common phenotypically with the hefe yeast, but aren't that close genetically - the hefe yeast are effectively kolsch yeast with a small chunk of DNA from the saisons with flavour-related genes on it.

It's one of those yeasts that people didn't quite know where to place, but recent DNA sequencing has confirmed that it's related to the (alleged) Duvel yeasts. Which have a lot in common phenotypically with the hefe yeast, but aren't that close genetically - the hefe yeast are effectively kolsch yeast with a small chunk of DNA from the saisons with flavour-related genes on it.

I wasn't referring to you. That would be "some US
company."Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan is the other
liquid yeast I've been seeing.

However, the info is GREATLY appreciated!

steve

Yeah, don't worry, I understood which NB you were referring to, it was just a comment to say that they were just reflecting a general uncertainty about how WB-06 fitted in. Phenotypically it seemed kinda hefe-ish so that's how it was sold, but it makes sense if it came from Duvel as a "tamed" saison.

Yeah, 3068 is generally regarded as the benchmark for homebrew-available hefe yeast - WLP300, 380 and 351 are increasingly distantly related from it in that order; Munich is a distant outlier to that group whereas Munich Classic seems to be quite closely related to 3068.

Interestingly the hefe strains seem to be the "regular" yeast that are most closely related to one of the parents of the main kveik group, which might explain some of the extravagant flavours you get from kveik.

Back