Hefeweizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
Last night I had the chance to try Sierra Nevada's Hefeweizen, and of course I loved it!

Im still pretty new in the world of brewing so I am still on extract kits. I am looking for one that is similar to SN's, which one would be recommended and would I need to add anything to get it similar?

Are you talking about the Kellerweis? I haven't had it but pulled it up on the SN site. Sounds like a basic American wheat. Any Am. wheat kit should get you in the ballpark. I don't know what yeast is used and that could be important if you want to clone the Kellerweis.

Go with something like White Lab 320 American Hefeweizen Yeast.

It'll give authentic character and flavor, as well as a low flocculation rate to keep it cloudy.

After a quick search it does indeed look like the yeast is unique. A lot of people are culturing the strain from the commercial bottles for their clones.

Kellerweis is not an American Wheat. Its a German style American Hefeweizen.

"Several years ago, the brewers began working with a unique Bavarian hefeweizen yeast strain unknown in this country. This amazingly flavorful yeast was so exciting that they began working on a recipe for a traditional German hefeweizen with the Sierra Nevada twist. Traditional hefeweizen is a style that seems deceptively simple, but in reality is devilishly complex. For years the brewers weren’t satisfied with the beer; something was missing. In a flash of inspiration, an epic trip was arranged. The brewers took a whirlwind tour through the legendary Bavarian wheat breweries to see what they were doing. It was there they realized the advantages of making wheat beer using the traditional system of open fermentation."

yes the yeast comes from a brewery they visited on their trip they took.

its in an interview with ken grossman on the website. its what makes the beer. in his opinion.

can you make a great hefe without it...yes.
can you make kellerweiss without it...very doubtful.

there is a ton of yeast in the bottle though...but haven't checked to set if that's the same yeast...I assume it is.

+1 about the yeast being a Bavarian strain. That would be crucial to cloning this beer. The Bavarian strain will give you those banana flavors that an American hefe would not have.

You really have to focus on getting those banana esters out of that beer. Kellerweis is a pretty banana rich hefeweizen. Ferment it warm is what I would do. Mid 70s. If you're able to get the yeast out of the beer. I might put some clove in the boil too, maybe a tablespoon at the last 5 minutes. For hops, I'd use Saaz or Brewer's Gold at the beginning of the boil to accent the clove and Tettnang at the end for aroma.

Back