Hefeweizen Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AverageJoe

Reaction score
Okay, so after two weeks in a primary and two weeks in a secondary today my partner in crime and I bottled the Hefeweizen. I found a quick and easy way to hang/sanitize bottles by hanging them between rails in my kitchen (see pic below), this worked really well. One thing we forgot to do was read the directions, we siphoned the beer directly onto the dry sugar… is this going to cause a problem? Once we transferred all the beer out of the carboy I gave it a light stir and it appeared to have taken all the sugar in.

Bottling went fairly well except the first bottle I capped the red baron bottle capper broke off a small piece of plastic from the capper. It seemed to work okay for the bottles though.

We tasted the beer, it seemed a little bland/watered down. We’re hoping sometime in bottles with the sugar will add some flavor to it. But it did have some alcohol content we could taste.

All in all we bottled 39 twelve ounce bottles and three larger 22 ounce easy cap bottles. I was hoping for more, should there have been more?

I think I’ll wait about two weeks before opening a bottle.

bottleshanging.jpg

carboyleftover.jpg

Here's what we left in the carboy.

you left quite a bit in the carboy especially for a hefe. You can be a little more liberal with the trub during racking because hefs are supposed to be cloudy with suspended yeast. I am going to bottle a hefe this evening and I will post some pics of the process and let you know how many bottles I end up with. Im hoping for around 55

I added my brew directly onto dry suger a couple times when i first started..
Never had a problem b/c of it.
I also added dry gelatin one time without any adverse effects.

we siphoned the beer directly onto the dry sugar… is this going to cause a problem? Once we transferred all the beer out of the carboy I gave it a light stir and it appeared to have taken all the sugar in.

If there were problems it would they might be:

* undercarbing if not all the sugar dissolved
* uneven carbing if some sugar was on the bottom and gradually because more dissolved as bottling continued
* increased oxidation if more strenuous stirring was needed to mix in the dry sugar
* perhaps increased chance of infection (not likely)

I figure you'll probably be fine, but do remember to boil it in a bit of water next time. It helps with sanitation, mixing, etc. It's a win-win.

Back