Hefeweissbier brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toto's

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I wanted to share with you my first result.
19 liters target BIAB
6 lbs of pilsner weyermann
3 lbs Wheat malt weyermann
1 lbs toasted rye flakes

1 oz saaz 60 minutes
.5 ozTettnanger 15 minutes
.5 oz Tettnanger 5 minutes
Yeast damstar munich dry
Mash at 68 for 60 minuts
At 72 for 10 minutes
At 75 for 5 minuts
Fermented at 19 degrees to get the banana flavor for 3 weeks.
OG 1.058
FG 1.022
i use a refractometer so the correction is 1.007 so it brings me to a ABV of 6.8%
FG was supposed to be 1.010 to 1.014
It's higher that i was expecting but i realized that missed my water quantity. I used in total 27.5 liters of water i should have used about 1L or 1.5L more to get the 19L
But i am really happy with it.
I bottled it on 17th of January and added 150gr. of white sugar for the carbonation to aim 3.0 co2 volume and tried one today. Carbonation is nice, maybe next time will try a little higher 3.2....
Flavor is great, i was able to develop the banana hint flavor, well i say I but... nice job yeast well done!! Lol

Feel free to leave any comment.
I filled 1 bottle at the end with a funnel and i might have tasted some oxidation taste. To be really sure what oxidation taste i will do the same thing with few bottles and really oxigenate the beer so i will be able to compare.
On that thought do you know if any brewer do actually sell unbalanced beer for tasting purpose. So we can have an idea what a tanin beer taste, oxidation taste etc....

Attachments

• 20210131_183541.jpg
    20210131_183541.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Your beer looks awesome! I just bottled 11 gallons of Hefeweizen last week. Used weihenstephaner yeast for the first time. I'm at 5% abv. Does your's have any banana or clove taste?

LOL I see now you said that in OP. Mine fermented up to 85 F! My heater was up too high. Smelled like bubble gum. Tasted good at bottling time surprsingly, but waiting on bottles to condition to see what's up. 🤞

Congrats on your first brew. Looks like you hit it out of the park.

Don't be too worried about the missing volume. It's very hard to predict that on a system you've never used before. Make note of it and make adjustments for next time. Does your boil kettle have volume markings? You can always add water near the end of the boil, or boil longer to lower the target volume.

Additionally if you want to end up with 19l you should also calculate the trub and yeast cake loss at the end of fermentation. I usually have 3-4L of loss there.

I am trying to adjust my quantities of water. It was my first weissbeer brew but i did about 20 brew in the last 2 years 😅. In my next brew i will start mesuring the PH level as well. I usually get 19L ....
I guess i had too many beers on the brew day lol

|NIce, I did an extract Hefe a ways back, and have been thinking about doing it again all grain.
I'll probably wait till summer, when it's easier to keep temps up...
Probably do my tripel again then as well to have higher fermentation temps.

Your beer sounds and looks great! Congrats!

Danstar Munich Classic will get you more banana and clove than the regular Danstar Munich. (If that's what you want!)

Back