Hefe-cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
I am looking to make a graff in the vain of a hefewiesen. I am going to do 4 gallons of apple juice at 1.060. Then a gallon to 1.5 gallons of a wheat mash (no boiled). I will not be hopping this. So my questions are because I have not made a graff, how much wheat would you recommend? I was leaning towards 1# but I thought about trying to match the 1.060 gravity and using 2.25#. Also, would you recommend boiling the malted water or not?

Cheers

Also, when mashing the wheat, I was going to strike high to develop some long chain sugars.

I would do a 15 minute boil of your wort and then chill it before addin it to your juice

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Definately boil the wort for 15 minutes or so. Malt...particularly wheat malt can have bugs like lactobacillus on them.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the amounts--you want to brew 5 gallons total, one gallon of which is wort, and want the total SG to be 1.060? You need to know the SG of the cider first. Then figure out how many pounds of malt is needed to get you the remaining points over the 5 gallons.
You may have to just boil the wort down to a concentrate...I have.

If you haven't made wheat beers before, I suggest looking up the techniques before brewing.

That said--I really enjoyed my oaked apple wheat graff. Which soured, because I didn't do a boil...

Back