Heatstick no likey wheat mashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Did a Witbier on Sunday. I have a cooler mash tun. This recipe calls for a protein rest before saccharification. Having used my heatstick (2000w water heater element) dozens of times to raise mash temps in the cooler I figured it would be no problem to take it up from 122° F to 154° F by stirring constantly with the heatstick for maybe 15 minutes.

Well, that didn't work at all. The mash burned onto the element in no time, forming a glob of burning grist. I stirred for a minute or so before I realized what was going on--hopefully not long enough to impart too many burnt toast flavors into the mash.

I ended up having to muck the mash out of the cooler and into the kettle so I could direct-fire and get to saccharification temperature, then mashout temperature. Then I mucked it back into the MLT so I could lauter. It was a real pain but it worked.

Moral of the story: the heatstick is fine for heating ordinary barley mashes, but I won't be using it for anything with significant amounts of wheat or oats.

I'm not too surprised. Probably goes for any mash using rice, also. (not rice hulls)

Bingo! Wheat, Rice, Rye, Oats, anything that is gel-like is a no go with the heatsticks. Ask me how I know...

Back