Heating Element Sealing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlager

Reaction score
I had a bulk head fitting welded into my 20 gallon aluminum pot and I have a slight leak around my threads. After a static test with the pot filled I had about 8 drops of water inside my element enclosure. I am not comfortable with that. Has any else had this same issue and if so how did you correct it without jeopardizing your ground? btw- I am using a BrewHardware element enclosure

The element should have a rubber gasket that keeps that from happening. The threads aren't meant to seal. If it's not sealing, then 1) it's not being screwed in tight enough, 2) the face it mates with isn't flat (dirt or other material stuck in there?), 3) gasket damaged.

Worst case, I guess you could put some keg lube on there, but you should not need that.

(edit: I don't have a brewhardware enclosure, but I assume it is similar to other enclosures)

My bulk head fitting is flat and straight. I swapped out my ripple element for a fold unit, that will allow me to torque it down a bit more. btw- whenever you install a silicon or rubber gasket on a threaded fitting joint, you should ALWAYS use a lubricant, unless it is a flanged fitting. Case in point your oil filter, if you don't used it you will damage your seal. The other issue here could be the element enclosure. it could have a burr. But it is definitely leaking through the threads here. So my seal between pot and the front of that element enclosure is sealed. I will try the new fold back and crank it down to compress that silicone o ring within and around the threads

I have no fitting but I used the oring on the inside of my kettle under the 1" nut which has the groove for it... no leaks... The hot pod enclosure rests directly against the element lip and thats pressed to the kettle...

Latest posts

Back