Heads up: SS Brewtech Brew Bucket fermenter thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
If considering an SS Brewtech fermenter kettle with LCD thermometer keep this in mind.

I ordered a SS Brewtech Brew Bucket 7 gallon brewmaster edition (ie comes with thermowell and thermoemter) from MoreBeer. 7 gal | Brew Bucket Brewmaster Edition

Really liked it, esp the thermometer/thermowell. So I ordered a second from MoreBeer. On second one received I noticed the LCD thermometer was smaller than first one I received. And there were 2 battereies instead of one large one like first. When I set it up and went to turn it on I noticed there was no on/off button like my first to turn it off (weird). I guess they think people will just leave it on 24/7. To turn it off you have to actually dismantle and pull the batteries out. Apparantly my first one had the NEW version thermoemter, larger dispaly and on/off switch. Second had old version. Had I not received one of each I might not have known any different.

The new version is fairly new so there must be a fair amount of previous version inventory out there and I got one. So if you are purchasing one, know there is a new (and improved) thermo out there.

Customer support kinda marginal as well I thought. Called to try and get a swap out but MoreBeer not much help, just said send entire unit back, order another, and hope next one is newer version. Really? So contacted SS Brewtech and they verified new vs. old thermo version. Suprisingly, also not much help. They were happy to sell me the new one for $20 shipped! They wouldnt do free, even though I bought a second of thier product because I really liked the first. If I am running a business, and a customer calls with that situation, Im just sending them a comp newer thermo ASAP no questions asked. It probably costs them $5 to build. Maybe Im just old school. As my boss always says "Why are we wasting oxygen on this?"

So if you get one, and care about this thermo issue, here are the old and new version:

thermo.png

So if you get one, and care about this thermo issue, here are the old and new version:
I'm sorry, what is this "issue" you speak of exactly? A thermometer is supposed to display the current temperature with some accuracy. That is its main and also its only function. Does either of your thermometers not accomplish that?

As my boss always says "Why are we wasting oxygen on this?"

Yep, I think your boss nailed it.

I absolutely love my brew bucket and have no regrets buying it but whatever thermometer came with it broke the moment I pulled that rubber seal off to remove the batteries haha. I bought it to use the thermowell for my InkBird probe so it didn’t really bother me but, yea...they are super cheap. I don’t blame you for being annoyed.

Ive had countless of these same thermometers in the past. Now you’ve got me curious as to how any of them turn off. I’ve never noticed a switch. Batteries last for a while, then buy more. It’s always on as far as I knew unless you pull batteries out.

Has anybody ever received any other thermometers like your first? I’ve had brew buckets, unitank, and 2 infussion mash tuns. None ever had an off switch.

I think SS Brewtech took a lot of feedback and made a new one with on/off switch. And its notable larger. When you buy something coll, I guess I expect it to be the same if I buy a second from the same store one week alter.

I'm sorry, what is this "issue" you speak of exactly? A thermometer is supposed to display the current temperature with some accuracy. That is its main and also its only function. Does either of your thermometers not accomplish that?

Yep, I think your boss nailed it.

YEs it works. But second is notably smaller and has no on/off switch. Yeah, I could pull the rubber off, remove batteries, find somewhere to stash the batteries, hope I dont lose them..... dont give me a chore to do. I need less tasks when brewing, not more. OR at least dont tease me with a larger new cooler one and on/off switch, then sell me a second without it. :p

My SS Brewbucket thermowell works best with an Inkbird thermometer probe in the well inside a cheap refrigerator for temperature controlled fermentation. I just tossed that SS thermometer.

I think SS Brewtech took a lot of feedback and made a new one with on/off switch. And its notable larger. When you buy something coll, I guess I expect it to be the same if I buy a second from the same store one week alter.

I was just o their website tonight looking for the upgraded thermometer with the on/off switch. I couldn’t find it. The only one they’re selling is the same one I’ve gotten about 5 times.

If you can find the one with the on/off switch for sale, could you link it?

I don't find it unreasonable that they wouldn't replace it. Other than software (for a while) not many products out there come with free upgrades when a new and improved version comes out unless there's a serious defect. Old inventory gets sold out and new comes in behind it, assuming someone rotates stock.

I’m also questioning the updated version. I can’t find it on their website. The one they’re selling is the smaller one without a power button.

I think they are A) trying to get rid of the old stock by only offering that on website(s), and B) putting the newer version in new production inventory. When I bought two Brew Buckets from MoreBeer it was luck of the draw - they must have a mix of old and new inventory.

Why would they replace something that is not broken. Just because they came out with an updated version that you like better doesn't mean the old version is broken. It sounds as if you have unreasonable expectations.

Possibly, unreasonable expectations. Like to get what [I think] Im paying for. But when you buy any product, and like it, and buy a second, expecting the same item doesnt seem unreasonable. Iwasant only voicing my personal discontent, but also just a heads up if someone is thinking about buying one and would prefer an on/off button. And just alos found it interesting that froma customer service perspective, why not just send the customer the $4 new version if he isnt happy? :cool:

My SS Brewbucket thermowell works best with an Inkbird thermometer probe in the well inside a cheap refrigerator for temperature controlled fermentation. I just tossed that SS thermometer.

Love that idea.

I don't find it unreasonable that they wouldn't replace it. Other than software (for a while) not many products out there come with free upgrades when a new and improved version comes out unless there's a serious defect. Old inventory gets sold out and new comes in behind it, assuming someone rotates stock.

Understood. I guess I have been lucky in past with other companies. Got a readio sytem from Crutchfield, noticed it was last yrs version - they swapped it out. When I got the Tilt I got v2 instead of v3 - they swapped it out. Got a TV from Best Buy that I thought was a 2019 model, was 2018 - they swapped it out. Not that unusual. But it definitely sound like I need to pay closer attention to purchases ;)

I was just o their website tonight looking for the upgraded thermometer with the on/off switch. I couldn’t find it. The only one they’re selling is the same one I’ve gotten about 5 times.

If you can find the one with the on/off switch for sale, could you link it?

I think you need to call them and order it directly. The invoice says "Thermometer | LCD Temp Display Module Dual Temp × 1". Bet both new and old versions have that title. Will see if there is a specific model number on it for reference, but they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Revisions typically follow a Form, Fit and Function rule. Both of these thermometers have the same form, fit and function and can be swapped back and forth with no changes. They are likely stocked in the same place with the same part number. Possibly just different suppliers.

A V2 and V3 of a product are obviously different and shouldn't be interchanged as are products that have year numbers. The part number (and retail UPC) of a 2019 and 2018 TV with different features should not be the same.

Back