Heading to Asheville for a day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
Heading to Asheville a couple of sundays from now for an overnight stay with my wife. We are heading up there to go skiing on monday and decided to spend the night in the city. What are some brewpub reccomendations you have and are they open on sundays. We probably wont get there till 3 or 4pm. Thanks.

It's hard to lose in Asheville when it comes to brew and food. It kind of depends on what you are looking for. If you go to the Jack o' the Wood on Sunday afternoon, there is often an Irish ceilidh going on...it usually starts at 3pm and has some really good musicians. They don't brew on site, but are the flagship place for GreenMan brewery. We almost always go there when we are in town on a Sunday. I like the food, but you may have more discriminating tastes, looking at your username. They serve a lot of local fare and do a good enough job for me... :)

We often stop in at the Thirsty Monk, which is just across the street, but usually don't eat there. They aren't really known for their food. They serve Belgian beers and have a nice atmosphere.

There's also a BierGarden that isn't bad.

There's a new place that I haven't been to, but has gotten rave reviews: "Wicked Weed". I've been wanting to check it out.

The Green Man Brewery on Buxton Avenue has a tasting room/bar sitting right in the brewhouse. If you love good beer, this is the place to go. There is no food though, but if in Asheville, you have to check this place out. Excellent place to hang out and drink craft beer. Very comfortable and inviting.

I highly recommend visiting The Thirsty Monk, many great beers to drink there. I also recommend spending an afternoon doing this:

Asheville brews Cruise

They will trolley you around to a bunch of the local breweries. Try to get out to Pisgah Brewery, they're my favorite local brewery in the area. Oskar Blues also just opened up in nearby Brevard. As far as food, Laughing Seed or Table if you want some fresh fare, and you can't go wrong with The lobster Trap if you like Seafood.

Gotta check out the Wedge. Wicked Weed has some very good beers and some sours. Don't waste your time at the LAB. As always Greenman is the ****.

Wicked Weed looks decent. Took a look at Laughing Seed, then left when it said vegetarian, sorry, I like the noble pig.

Wicked Weed looks decent. Took a look at Laughing Seed, then left when it said vegetarian, sorry, I like the noble pig.

My foodie pals love some of the bistros around...Blackbird comes up more than others, but I haven't been there. I do like the Sunny Point Cafe, but it isn't in walking distance from downtown and I tend to linger downtown when I go.

Oh! Almost forgot Pack's Tavern...a great place with a long history. The food I've had there is great. The building used to be a huge component in the moonshine underworld during Prohibition. Pretty neat place.

My Indian friends rave on and on about Mela, an award winning place for Indian food. They say it is better than fine restaurants at home. It is on my list for my next trip down there.

I highly recommend 12 Bones in the River Arts District if you're looking for pig. They do it right. If you're looking for an interesting culinary experience check out Zambra on W. Walnut St, excellent Tapas and lots of good wine/spirits (though their beer selection sucks). Very cool atmosphere too with live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights.

My wife and I hit Oskar Blues Brewery in Brevard (~40 minutes from Asheville) after hiking the other day and it was fantastic! Got a private tour from the head brewer and tasted all their beers. Definitely worth it if you have the time.

I also highly recommend The Thirsty Monk, my personal favorite beer bar in town. Excellent selection of American craft beers and a huge supply of authentic Belgians.

Other places worth visiting if you have time: Mela (Indian cuisine), Wicked Weed Brewery, Highland Brewing, Pisgah Brewing (Black Mountain), Nine Mile (Carribean-inspired cuisine and nice selection of craft brews), Isis (in West Asheville; 23 beers on tap, good food), Jack-of-the-Wood (Greenman beers)., and The Bywater (laid back bar on the river w/ grills and live music.)

Have fun in town! Cheers

Back