HDTV's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Who has one? What do you think of yours?

Santa will be bringing me one this year, 1080p and probably 40-42". Anything I need to know while shopping for one? My dad has a Sharp Aquos which is really nice. I've heard good things about Vizio and I know they are at Costco and are cheaper than most. Olevia sponsors ESPN. :D
I've heard that there's no real difference in cheaper cables compared to Monster cables. is this true? I'm also limited in size as I would like to keep my current entertainment center which is 43.5" wide and 29.5" tall.

SWMBO and I just found one yesterday that we're gonna get for xmas. It's a
52" Widescreen Projection HDTV for 698.00$

One of my buddies picked up a Vizio and it's awesome.

I have a Hitachi Ultravision 57" rear-projector HDTV. It's big and not slim at all (like me) but has a great picture. We got it a few years ago and it's held up like a champ.

You'll be happy no matter what you get. As for Monster Cables, sure, you don't need them but you also don't need a grain mill and don't need to brew all grain.

Do not waste your money on monster cables, 80% of their budget is on advertising and probably less than 10% on R&D. For cables, go to www.monoprice.com

I have a 50" Rear projection HDTV and have been happy for 5 years and also have a DLP 720p projector shooting a 100" screen. All my cables are from monoprice and I couldn't be happier.

Buyer beware with the rear projection. Is it a DLP? The lamps can go out after a while. I have one though, and it's done well. Nowadays, I'd say go with an LCD.....they're really getting affordable, like $1k. LG is a great brand and so is Samsung. Go to bestbuy and choose for yourself. 1080p is what you want....it'll be great for watching sports and games. You can get any cable, and it'll be fine. Monster cables (in the case of hdmi cables) are a rip off. There's an industry standard for manufacturing them that even the low grade cheapo companies have to follow. You can get a set for $15.

Stick some money into lcd or plasma. The quality of product is proving to be outstanding compared to other consumer products. Per Clark Howard the problems associated with lcd and plasma tv's is low, so low in fact that the scale used had to be reconfigured to allow for such low instances of failure. Don't bother with extended warranties, wasted money, unless of course you end up with a stinker and then hopefully it's covered under manufacturers warranty.

I have 50" off brand plasma and it's been great watching the Packers shelack! foes in HD for the past 2 years. (More so this year than last. Ha!)(Over the air antenna HD, BTW screw the cable company.) Also managed to hook up my laptop to it so's now I got a 50" computer monitor.

I have the pioneer HD5080 Its 1080P and 50 inches plasma. I havent seen a sharper picture yet.

I'm going to get an LCD, they don't give off a glare like Plasma and I wasn't planning on a projection. I've heard that LG is Goldstar, they merged with a German company and became LG.

I'm quite happy with my 46" Toshiba DLP. The picture is very crisp and rivals anything I've ever seen. I'm well aware of the lamp issue, but the price was right, and the picture is outstanding. That said, we bought it two years ago, and LCD is catching up fast. Given today's selection and prices, I might be more tempted to go LCD.

My SWHBO works the door as a greeter at Sam's Club. She says 2 or 3 Vizio's come back every day. So take that for what its worth. I have a 42 inch Hitachi 1080i. Nice TV. I made this antenna and get over the air HD. Can you imagine the 9-1 Packers in HD. What a beautiful sight.

Oh sorry this is about HDTV. Get a Name brand, Sony, Phillips, Pioneer, Toshiba, or Hitachi or any I forgot and enjoy.

Can't get much better than Pioneer, but you pay for it. Panasonic is top of the line too but a little more attainable, price wise.

Also, it's cheaper to watch the Pack rack up wins on a HD LCD cuz they're more energy friendly than plasma:D

Bobby_M said:
... It's only 720p but looks great for now. Will be upgrading to a 1080p machine next year.

RDWHAHB! I've read that networks and movie producers are not in any big hurry to get 1080p content out there. Right now there is no 1080p content out there, AFAIK, to take advantage of that feature. 720p, (and it's corollary 1080i which IIRC is just upconverted 720p. It all has to do with lines of resolution which is way too boring for mere mortals, including me.) is the format for the near future. So, the 1080p is purely a marketing device to spend more $ on something you can use in the far off idealized future.

corrections welcome, if needed. BTW, I've learned tons from avsforum.com

I have an HDTV - awesome. My advice when deciding which one to get - go to a store that has a bunch on display and decide which one looks best to you. You can look at all the specs you want, but the proof is in the pudding.

Latest posts

Back