have a mish mash of extra grain...what can i brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorvan

Reaction score
due to some funny happenings while weighing out grain for a mild ale i was brewing at the LHBS i ended up with 9lbs of extra grain...from what i can tell they somehow managed to put like 11lbs of marris otter in while keeping the specialty grains the same (different scale) i was able to pilfer the 5lbs i needed in base malt (i think) and i just re bought the specialty in order to make the mild....i re bought the specialty grain instead of simply taking out what i didnt need from the bag and using the origional because honestly i dont know how much of what is in there.

anyways, i also had the same thing happen for my chocolate stout...

so i need the homebrewers brain trust to help me out with some recipes that will utilize these grains.

here is what we are working with (i think)

10lbs 2row
7ish lbs M.O
about 2lbs crystal 80...mixed within both batches total (1lb in each bag)
about 1.25lbs pale chocolate between the two (14oz for the stout and 6 ozfor the mild
about 1.5lbs carapils (1 lb in stout and 8oz in mild...i like it so hush)
about 4oz carafa1 (stout)

i guess i can see possibly making another variation of my stout if it turns out ok or tweeking it if it doesnt... but honestly, i really dont want double sitting around, i would get bored with the same stuff after a while and end up dumping the beer anyway.

are all the specialty grains all mixed together? if not how about leaving out the chocolate and carafa1 and having a nice big IIPA? or throw everything in and make a Black IIPA.

Extra Grains Black IIPA
Imperial IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 22.000
Total Hops (oz): 5.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.109 (°P): 25.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.025 (°P): 6.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 10.99 %
Colour (SRM): 34.6 (EBC): 68.2
Bitterness (IBU): 89.3 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 lb American 2-Row (45.45%)
7.000 lb Maris Otter Malt (31.82%)
2.000 lb Crystal 80 (9.09%)
1.500 lb Carapils (Dextrine) (6.82%)
1.250 lb Chocolate, Pale (5.68%)
0.250 lb Carafa I malt (1.14%)

Hop Bill
----------------
2.00 oz Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (5.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with WLP001 - California Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

thats an idea...the grains are together.

ive yet to make an IPA that didnt taste like a banana split though...im either using the wrong yeast or fermenting too high

raptorvan: sounds like too high a ferment temp for your IPA's. Safale 05 is great for hoppy ales and works well up into the 70's. I did a batch with Nottingham during a heat wave and it was extremely banana flavored. I just did a Robust porter with Notty fermented at about 63 deg and it is awesome.

raptorvan: The two row, Maris otter and cry 80 would be enough for an Amber Ale, with some creative hopping. If you have Beer Smith, you could plug in a trial recipe with your other stuff and see what they say.

Back