Has anyone recently ordered from Midwest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 9/7 and received it yesterday, no problem, good prices, quality grains. Maybe slow but I had 4 5gal batches fermenting, so I didn’t need to brew till now.I like them.

721993-prices.png

On top of their already low prices, Ritebrew gives volume discounts on certain products, like 10+ pounds of a malt or 10+ packets of a dry yeast. No free shipping, but it's fairly priced and there are discounts after you spend enough.

I also love their yeast pre-order where you order a specific stain from Omega or Wyeast and they order a fresh packet that following Sunday, which they generally receive that same week. They will then ship it immediately or they give the option to wait until the following Monday to ensure it doesn't sit in a shipper's warehouse over a weekend. So, given a week or two of pre-planning, you can have the absolute freshest yeast.

Speedee shipping. Overnight delivery to the Chicago area!
MN as well. On a related note it's one of the reasons why I love McMaster-Carr so much (same delivery).

Well, almost always. Speedee did mess it up once, but only once, and it took a week. Of course I had liquid yeast in the order because I'd gotten cocky about how fast things went. But with so many good dry yeasts, and Ritebrew's like half-price pricing on those dry yeasts, if you choose a dry yeast then even if it doesn't arrive overnight it's still just fine. And of course none of that delay was at all Ritebrew's fault. They also have an option to delay shipping until Monday to help ensure it doesn't sit anywhere.

I placed an order with Midwest on 9/4/22. On 9/9/22 they sent me an apology and a coupon, then my order arrived on 9/16/22. By current standards that is extremely slow, but when they have their $49 free shipping sales, I can get Dingemans pilsner malt for substantially cheaper than anywhere else. I would prefer to work with a LHBS, but in Central Iowa, we are kind of in a LHBS desert. More Beer used to be my go to and I still slightly prefer doing business with them, but their malt prices have gone way up. Rite Brew has been my recent favorite for bulk malt purchases, but that can change depending on shipping rates. Midwest and NB aren’t my favorite, but at the end of the day, unless I notice a discrepancy in the quality of ingredients, I’m going to go wherever I can get the best deal on malt, even if their customer service isn’t great.
Do you belong to the IBU? If so, check out/ask around about Fermenter Fillers. We don't have an LHBS, but Jeff gets GREAT prices on ingredients.

Back