Has anyone ever used Quat sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondthepale

Reaction score
If any of you work in a restaurant, you are probably familiar with the ammonia based food-safe sanitizer generically known as Quat. Used to sterilize plates, glasses, and silverware, it is not poisonous to people if it gets in the food. My boss offered to let me take some for brewing with, however I declined as I was unsure of its suitability for brewing purposes. I had thought that although it might kill off the things the health department worries about, so does my beer, and the Quat might not be strong enough to kill the things that CAN live in there. So, has anyone ever used this stuff for brewing before?

Been using it for years and nothing beats the start of a brew day with the smell of a fresh batch of quat sanitizing solution. I procured some when I used to work in the restaurant business and have used it ever since. The stuff is not limited to restaurants and is used in the brewing field. If I were you, load up. I have never had a problem with it and will panic when my supply runs out.

Back