has anyone ever looked into fabricating-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomHanx

Reaction score
a keg? I know it sounds rediculous but if you had the machinery or at least welding experiance how realistic is it to go buy some sheets of stainless stell. roll a shell out of it and weld it shut tight with regular sanke keg opening?

look at the pic, take out the horizontal lines/rings that were pressed into the side wall of the keg and just make it flat. cut and weld in a bottom and tap and cut out holes for handles...

a18c4efff24d0b9b5c08e6835de94516.gif

I know some really talented welders that shy away from pressure vessels, it almost stresses them out when I mention the square kegs they should build me to optimize freezer space (its been done). So in short, yes it can be done but its maybe not recommended especially without equipment to properly (ie safely) pressure test.

Have you priced Stainless Steel sheeting?

Well here's why i ask, I've (embarrssed to admit, long story) been toying around with the idea of taking homebrew to the next level one day (long way away if ever) but its hard enough just to find kegs for sale. Most places are only in china and accept huge orders...

looked into the keg distributors but they dont want to mess with small orders as well. kind of stuck on this paticular point. I've got friends that grew up welding since they were kids (family business) so if i had some sort of plans to take them...

Well here's why i ask, I've (embarrssed to admit, long story) been toying around with the idea of taking homebrew to the next level one day (long way away if ever) but its hard enough just to find kegs for sale. Most places are only in china and accept huge orders...

looked into the keg distributors but they dont want to mess with small orders as well. kind of stuck on this paticular point. I've got friends that grew up welding since they were kids (family business) so if i had some sort of plans to take them...

Make friends with a local beer distributor or brewpub. I am sure they have access to these things, either at cost or cheaper for dented/messed up kegs.

You can find legal, used kegs that aren't outrageous IMO. I think $139 or so depending.

I agree that there should be more distributors willing to sell used kegs to homebrewers. But I've also had a hard time finding anything around here. I'm nearly willing to pay the deposit for a college fraternity's beer bash just to get some empty kegs...

Going off my welding and fabricating experience it would not be worth the time or cost. It would be a lot of work. It would be cool to make your own, dont get me wrong. But to make a profit, I dont think it would be possible.

I did just pick 3 up from my local liquor store though. Im pretty excited about cutting them open. Hell I might tomorrow!

The probrewer classified adds almost always have kegs availabe in smaller quantities for about $100. They are used but are in working order.

did anyone ever try those plastic kegs, seen them on line they look cost effective for a small scale brewery. kind of like a big soda bottle with a heavy dutycase around and it looked like they use sanke keg taps

did anyone ever try those plastic kegs, seen them on line they look cost effective for a small scale brewery. kind of like a big soda bottle with a heavy dutycase around and it looked like they use sanke keg taps

The brewpub I work at (as bartender not brewer...yet) uses them. The big draw back is the handles are not the best. A pain in the butt to haul up the stairs full, otherwise I think everyone there is satisfied with them. Although in the cellar we use stainless for the lines not on the big tanks, so I don't believe they turn over too many of the plastic kegs.

I bought some stainless today, and like homercidal said, it's not cheap. For me to make one it'd take over $120 in SS(retail price), throw in a hour of labor (for me it'd be 10+ hrs). The big factories buy in massive volume and it's all mechanized/automated so labor costs are minimal (they do have amortized fixed costs for capital of course). So they can make a profit of selling these things for $100-$130.

look at the pic, take out the horizontal lines/rings that were pressed into the side wall of the keg and just make it flat. cut and weld in a bottom and tap and cut out holes for handles...

On top of the points already made, the rings you're talking about add a tremendous amount of strength to the kegs. Without them they wouldn't be able to take the abuse or pressures they're subjected to. Even if you could get the SS at bulk prices, you'd still need to buy or fabricate the diptubes and valve assemblies on top of the shell. I just don't see how you could come close to making a functional keg that would handle the required pressures for less than the ~$100 it costs to buy one.

Back