Has anyone else plowed through their brew budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, as my signiture says:
I dont home brew because im broke, im broke because I home brew...
It is not a cheap hobby, my two cents, once you have the equip its yours. No more buying unless you want to upgrade to larger brews. Good times!

after i spent all of the money on my initial equip and ingredients the swmbo now give me an allowance on beer brewing supplies.... I make the paycheck and i'm on an allowance, lol....

I spent about $500 on my keezer including everything to make it go VROOM with 4 kegs in it, in the last 3 months..

Unfortunatley, this had a side effect, because i don't have to bottle anymore, I have brewed more beer in the last 3 months that in the previous 3 years....

See, the trick is to start with a really expensive hobby first. When I did high power rocketry, I'd easily sink $200 into propellent alone for a single flight. SWMBO thinks this brewing thing is a massive bargain. :)

See, the trick is to start with a really expensive hobby first. When I did high power rocketry, I'd easily sink $200 into propellent alone for a single flight. SWMBO thinks this brewing thing is a massive bargain. :)

i don't have that luxury, lol...... i'm living on a military E-5 paycheck..... For some reason there is always more month than there is money.....

My cousin built 2 bigh powered rocket.... we spent 6 months building our own electronics package for one, to fire a Pulse Jet engine 4 seconds after takeoff.. The cops were called when we test fired the engine (strapped to a pincic table, and forcefed by an air compressor)

the carbon fiber wings were ripped off a few seconds after the 2nd stage engine fired as it broke the sound barrier.

If I had a budget I wouldn't have the equipment I have. All I do is discuss it with SWMBO and go from there. It's definatelly cheaper than the Harley was.

I just started buying grain in bulk... That has lead to..

Grain storage ($50)
Kegging systesm ($300) I am getting sick of bottling and I am getting the fridge for free
Kegs to convert into keggle/fermenters ($200)
Frementing freezer ($150)(I live in north CA and it is getting up to 100+ degrees)
Temp Control ($80)

Then brewing in 10 gallon batches is going to open a whole other can of worms. I guess it is time to go out to the shed and find out what stuff can be sold to fund my not-so-new obsession.:confused:

Holy ****, you guys are nutz, more power to ya. The wife gives me the $60 start up (includes first batch kit) 13 yrs ago & I'd be surprised if I've spent much more than another $100 on equipment since & most of that is just relacement. Everytime I think of getting something new I end up going **** it, the beers already great, I'll just buy more ingredients.

My wife never complains about how much I spend.

I spent $525 on supplies (hardware) the week before last...she just said Happy Birthday...:D

She knows we have the money so it's no big deal.

I'm certain it would be a whole new ball game if I spent that AND stayed out at the bars and such, but I don't. :mug:

Seriously... Are that many people here really that pvssy-whipped that their spouse puts them on a budget? I work hard for my money, and I'll be damned if anyone tells me how to spend it. Better yet, my SWMBO doesn't tell me what to do with my money, and I don't tell her what to do with hers.

I guess I just don't understand...

Back