Has anybody ever organized a Homebrew Hobbiest tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
With so many home brewers out there has anyone ever organized a Homebrew tasting where you sell tickets (to cover the cost of renting a building and so forth - like $10 or something).

Any legal hurdles? Unknown problems?

Comments?????

I would think there are legal issues there. Check with you lhbs and see if you can put something together there. Kinda informal type of thing.

We have a brewclub in our area that meets once a month at someones' house. Everyone brings whatever they have been brewing for a taste. Pretty informal.

Yea - that would be good also - just an informal meeting.

I'm not sure if there are any clubs in the Columbus WI area. Maybe have to look into starting one! :)

I wonder if the Kurth Brewery in Columbus would be open for us meeting there. They no longer make their own beer. It WAS the largest brewery in Wisconsin until it burned down 60 years ago.

Only one small building left!

I haven't organized one, but it is very common. The Heart of the Valley had their 26th Annual Oregon Homebrew Festival about a month ago. The American Homebrewers Association is a good source for guidelines, judging info, etc. I think the charge was $10 to submit 1-3 beers.

With so many home brewers out there has anyone ever organized a Homebrew tasting where you sell tickets (to cover the cost of renting a building and so forth - like $10 or something).

Any legal hurdles? Unknown problems?

Comments?????

You can't charge if memory serves for a "taster" to enter the gathering. However, you can charge, as was said, to submit beers.

Most laws (even federal I think) that permit homebrewing say that you're only allowed to share it for tasting and judging purposes, and that you specifically can't charge to drink the beer.

The only other way you could get around it is if you had some other event happening in the same building, or if you were a neutral 3rd party who hosted the event, and allowed homebrewers to bring their own brew for judging and tasting. The AHA charges I think what, 40 bucks for their big brew-fest? I don't think the brewers see any of that money, and the AHA doesn't bring beer, so I think all is well in that event.

You'd walk a fine line, but I think it could be done.

Back