Has any one made a SMaSH IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

317BREW

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying one wanted to get some suggestions. I wanted to use Summit hops for the grapefruit/tangerine flavor and aroma. Any help would be appreciated.

Summit would certainly work because of the high AA's. I can't imagine an IPA SMaSH with any hop below 8% AA, but perhaps it's doable.

I personally despise grapefruit flavors, but I know Citra's popular for that reason. A local brewery does a Citra SMaSH, as well as a Triple Citra...

...I hate both, but they may be the direction you're looking for.

Oskar Blues' Gubna is an imperial IPA using only Summit hops. I love it and there should be a recipe floating around on here somewhere. I'm curious to see what other people have to say.

CBMbrewer said:
Oskar Blues' Gubna is an imperial IPA using only Summit hops. I love it and there should be a recipe floating around on here somewhere. I'm curious to see what other people have to say.

Ill look for the recipe. I was thinking of using 16# of 2-row and another # of toasted 2-row

I'd try 15-18 lbs of Canada Pale Ale Malt

And either Citra, Simcoe, or Centennial.

I personally despise grapefruit flavors, but I know Citra's popular for that reason.

Despite it's name, Citra is actually quite minimal on the citrus/grapefruit notes. They are there, but melon, mango, lychee notes steal the show. This hop is mainly tropical... Totally unlike Summits' dank, marijuana-esque tangerine notes.

Just did an English sMasH IPA with Maris Otter & Northern Brewer hops. Still in the fermenter though.

If you want to consider lower-alpha hops, you could bitter with extract or something neutral like Galena. Then pack all your flavor and aroma hops in that last few minutes and in the whirlpool. Maybe not technically SMaSH, but I think it's true to the intent.

To my mind, the trickier things about getting a good double IPA with only a single grain are process, rather than picking the grain or hops. Without any adjuncts or sugar, you should make sure that you're mashing low (150F or below, I'd think). You don't to end up with a very high FG or a wort that is too dextrinous. You should also try to find a yeast that will really attenuate.

Grains I think are quite clear--just use pale ale malt. Hops again I think is pretty easy; you'll either need a ton of lower-alpha hops, or a good amount of higher-alpha hops. I'm interested in doing doing a summit SMaSH as well; I imagine it'd work well, as thadius said, because of the high AAs.

How does this hop schedule for 14# of pale ale malt

image-833625879.jpg

It depends on how imperial you want your IPA, but I would up pretty much all of those additions I think. E.g., those bittering levels look low to me, but I may misunderstand your idea of what you're going for. If this is more of an ordinary IPA at around 60 IBUs, those levels are fine. I thought you were going for something that would be more like 100+ IBUs. Even if you don't want to go really bitter, though, I'd also up the aroma additions (including the knockout and dry hop; consider doing two dry hop additions of 1-1.5 oz each several days apart, for example).

motorneuron said:
It depends on how imperial you want your IPA, but I would up pretty much all of those additions I think. E.g., those bittering levels look low to me, but I may misunderstand your idea of what you're going for. If this is more of an ordinary IPA at around 60 IBUs, those levels are fine. I thought you were going for something that would be more like 100+ IBUs. Even if you don't want to go really bitter, though, I'd also up the aroma additions (including the knockout and dry hop; consider doing two dry hop additions of 1-1.5 oz each several days apart, for example).

I uploaded the wrong pic. Here is what I'm thinking after some suggestions.

17# American pale ale

.5 @ 60min
.5 @ 30
.5 @ 15
1 @ 5
1.5 @ 0
1.5 @ dry hop 7 days
1 @ dry hop 7 days

Should be around 76 IBU & 7.7%ABV

Back