Harvesting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimsfamousCider

Reaction score
I have started harvesting Yeast to make cider. Mostly because I am cheap but also because I have a Theory that the yeast will mature like in a fine sourdough bread yeast starter that people keep in the fridge and pass on to friends.

Is anyone else doing this

Are there any I'll effects?

Here is my basic process.

During primary fermentation, I rack off the cider leaving the lees and yeast. I add a bit of apple juice(could be water, I just don't like to dilute the cider) and swirl to mix. I then pour a bit into sterilized plastic water bottle. Add a couple spoonfuls of sugar, mix and then smash the bottle to remove the air and put the lid on.

Every week or so I add more sugar and I check the pressure in the bottle an release if necessary.

I am also doing an experiment using hienz ketchup bottles that are no drip. They have a plastic seal with a small X cut in them. This seal can hold a bit of pressure(keeping air out)but automatically releases when it gets to high. Has worked good so far, but we don't use that Much ketchup so I only have one.

When it comes time to use the yeast again, I pour some of it into a bowl and add a bit more juice and sugar and make a yeast starter.

I would love to hear other thoughts or reasons why this it dumb.

A lot of people seem to harvest yeast for re-use without too many problems, but you should be aware it is impossible to keep a pure culture in a domestic situation and what you end up with is a mixture of different yeasts and bacteria. This means you are increasing your chance of a spoilage organism getting hold and ruining your cider. I don't know what the actual chances are but a packet of yeast seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Back