Harvesting yeast. Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
So I'm going to start harvesting yeast. I've read plenty to know what I want to take, how to wash it, save it, and ultimately reuse it.
My question is, should I cold crash the primary to get things to settle a little before I siphon off the beer into a secondary? Will I loose too much good yeast and negatively impact my secondary conditioning?

So I'm going to start harvesting yeast. I've read plenty to know what I want to take, how to wash it, save it, and ultimately reuse it.
My question is, should I cold crash the primary to get things to settle a little before I siphon off the beer into a secondary? Will I loose too much good yeast and negatively impact my secondary conditioning?

You shouldn't be racking to secondary until all fermentation is complete, the only yeast you will miss are the low flocculating ones, and/or possibly the very high attenuating ones. You could very well crash cool after fermentation, then harvest the yeast from the primary after racking to secondary or bottling bucket, whichever the case may be.

That being said, some people save the yeast from their secondary, for that matter some people save the yeast from the keg. I would think the best and healthiest cross section of yeast would be from the primary, or even top cropping the yeast at high kreusen:mug:

Latest posts

Back