Harvest IIPA and Amber Lager Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atvar

Reaction score
I'm about to place an order for my next 5 brews and I'm trying to decide what to brew that also incorporates my homegrown hops. I've already settled on making a nugget SMASH, barley wine, and vanilla porter. The hops I'd like to keep these limited to are nugget, centennial, cascade, chinook, and sterling.

Harvest IIPA

Grains - aiming for ~1.075 OG and 7.5% alcohol
10lb US 2-row
2lb Munich 20L
2lb Vienna
1lb Crystal 40L

Hops - aiming for 70-90 IBU range
2 oz Nugget and possibly chinook combo for ~70 IBU at 60min.
0.5 oz each cascade + centennial at 15min.
0.5 oz each cascade + centennial at 0 min.
1 oz nugget dry hop 7 days
other dry hops??

This is very loosely based on Troegs Nugget Nectar. My big question is how to go about hopping this thing. Will the nugget and chinook go well together? I'd like to throw in another 1-2 oz of hops somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Amber Lager

Grains
6lb US 2-row
4lb Munich 10L
1lb Crystal 40L
0.5lb Caramunich

Hops - ~25 IBU total
1oz Sterling 60min.
1oz Sterling 15min.
1oz Sterling 0 min.

This will be my first attempt at a lager. It'll be fermented/lagered in the garage sometime this fall. I'm leaning toward using saflager W-34/70 yeast. I picked the hops schedule mostly to give me an idea of sterling hops characteristics.

How do they look?

The amber lager seems a bit heavy on the Munich, but I guess that would depend on what you have in mind as an amber lager. European would probably use Vienna as a base malt and something like Yuengling would use six row and corn with cluster as a bittering hops.

Brew what you have, taste it then decide for yourself if you want to change anything. :)

Well I basically copied the grain bill Newbeerguy's Eliot Ness Clone in the recipe database. It looked tasty, and I'm really not too worried about a particular style. This outside lager experiment might end up like a steam beer for all I know...

Well I basically copied the grain bill Newbeerguy's Eliot Ness Clone in the recipe database. It looked tasty, and I'm really not too worried about a particular style. This outside lager experiment might end up like a steam beer for all I know...

Well, if you're copying a recipe for a clone and you already like it...

34/70 works well for me. I'd probably pitch at least a pack and a 1/2 for that beer. After that, you can pitch the slurry and save some $$.

Back