Harbin Lager from China coming soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBrothaRick

Reaction score
Taken from the Honolulu Star Bulletin on Friday:

Anheuser to start new beer in isles
ST. LOUIS » Anheuser-Busch will launch a Chinese import beer in Hawaii and Los Angeles next week, the company announced yesterday.

Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. will release its Harbin Lager beer in the two locations on Monday, said Andy Goeler, vice president of imports.

Anheuser-Busch said the beer will be made available throughout the nation later this year.

I've never heard of Harbin Lager. Can anybody describe it?

I picked up a 6 pack today. Don't know how long the store has had them. It's in a green bottle with foil cover a non-twist off top.

I'm no conisseur (don't even know how to spell it) but the brew reminds me of a mild Heineken.

The bottle reads, "Inspired by the Tradition and Culture of China's most Northern Province of Hellongjiang."

I don't see any sediment in the bottle of the bottle so it can't THAT traditional.

I wonder if Anheuser buys up these microbreweries and then leaves the brewing method alone or not. I wonder how much of this beer is for real and how much is a marketing charade.

Well, I'll need to sample several more of these before I come up with a solid rating.:mug:

Harbin is pretty good. Photos on the link site.

http://pickledmangohawaii.blogspot.com/2007/08/brew-review-harbin-lager.html

Brew Review: Harbin Lager
Comes wrapped in a thick sort of tissue paper that has an elastic neck underneath. Also a thin metallic gold drawstring.

Harbin Lager (China)
Appearance (0 to 4 stars): 3.
Aroma: 3.
Flavor: 3. Quite strong initially, almost bitter like Heineken. No funky aftertaste.
Texture: 3.5. Nice fizz.
Drinkability: 3. Nice going down.

Overall score: 15.5.

Cost: $3.
On the label: 1 pt., 4.3 oz. Inspired by the Tradition and Culture of China's Most Northern Province of Heilongliang.
Summary: I normally don't care for bitter beers, but this one is nice when cold, goes well with chili, fried chicken and kim chi. Once it gets warm, ugh. A true hot-weather beer. I wonder if the Danes had an influence on the breweries in Northern China. I know the Germans built a few breweries there.

Decent enough lager, nothing even remotely special. Not as good as Five Star if you want Chinese beer...

Back