Handling potential bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passive

Reaction score
So, after having less than ideal carbonation on previous batches, I'm now having the opposite problem. I scraped the bottom of the fermenter about a week before bottling, and I also added a couple extra tablespoons of maple syrup. The gravity didn't change at all between scraping and bottling, so I'm confident it's only the added sugars I have to worry about.
I have a raspberry wheat (my first non-extract based brew) that was bottled 9 days ago. I opened a bottle at 5 days, and it was pretty fizzy already. A few minutes ago, I opened all of them, and most of them are foaming to the top, albeit fairly slowly.
I imagine if I leave these open for a bit, that should allow some of the accumulated CO2 to dissipate, and then I can re-cap them? As far as I can tell, based on taste, they don't have much sugar left to consume (though the raspberry puree is probably throwing my sense of that off).

Ok, I have a plan. I poured some into a hydrometer tube, and I will cap the rest and leave it overnight. In the morning it should be flat, and I should be able to confirm if there's much more sugar to be digested.
Holes in my plan?

Ok, I have a plan. I poured some into a hydrometer tube, and I will cap the rest and leave it overnight. In the morning it should be flat, and I should be able to confirm if there's much more sugar to be digested.
Holes in my plan?

How are you going to tell if there is more fermentable sugar left. What you discribed sounds reasonably normal for a 9 day bottled beer. If you are concerned you could put the in a rubbish bag in a (clean) rubbish bin, and leave to carb for another 2 weeks. Check after that to see if you have a problem.
Also are you cooling the beer in the fridge before opening it?

How are you going to tell if there is more fermentable sugar left. What you discribed sounds reasonably normal for a 9 day bottled beer. If you are concerned you could put the in a rubbish bag in a (clean) rubbish bin, and leave to carb for another 2 weeks. Check after that to see if you have a problem.
Also are you cooling the beer in the fridge before opening it?

It may be normal, it's just much more carbed than any of my recent ones, so I'm scared. :)

I took a gravity reading before priming, and it matched gravity readings over the last 10 days in the primary, so I'm confident it's accurate. If the reading tomorrow matches, that should mean they've eaten all the added sugars, I think?

There is nothing to worry about... every beer I have ever attempted to open at room temperature in that amount of time has beer eventually foaming over the top of the bottle. If the beer is finished fermenting then the yeast have almost 0 fermentables remaining to consume. Whatever you give them to carbonate with is all there is... no more, no less. I use a few different carbonation calculators to determine the amount of Co2 per the style guidelines. Let them sit at 70* for 3 weeks. Then cool for a minimum of 2 days then open and sample.

I would find it very hard to believe that anyone can go by taste to determine if fermentable sugars remain in a beer unless they are Gordon Ramsey :). Relax give your beer time to develop in the bottles and have another beer and brew another batch!

Also I would not uncap until you have determined the beer to be over carb'ed in at least a month. All you will be doing is wasting the carbonation your yeast have already provided. How much sugar did you bottle with?

Well, it seems like everything worked out just fine. I ended up leaving them open for about 20 minutes at the time of the original posting, which was either enough, or unnecessary, as they all seem to be just about perfect. :)
Well, except for the fact that a couple of fruit flies seem to have drowned in them, which I suppose I should have expected with raspberry beer.

Back