Guitar Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopillar

Reaction score
So I had some leftover wood from my keezer build and decided I needed a mash paddle. So this is what I came up with last Saturday. The other guitars in the one pic I also built for me and one of my sons. Don't worry those don't get put into liquids!

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Very impressive. Nice wordworking skills.

How long did each guitar take you?

Thanks! It was about 6 months for each. Just working on the side with limited tools. Would do a kit next time for an easier go at it and less headaches!

i like the terrapin bottle cap at the top. wish we could get that in ohio. May have to try this with and sg body rather than a cut away.

Yeah I had to go with a in state brewery plus I drink plenty of their stuff so had lots of bottle caps around.

i like the terrapin bottle cap at the top. wish we could get that in ohio. May have to try this with and sg body rather than a cut away.

I was just going to ask what the bottle cap was, I didn't recognize it.

that's friggin awesome!

not that it matters, I'm just curious - 24 frets is unusual... scale length match any actual guitars? fret spacing looks good, love that they space closer together up the neck. did you match actual spacing or just wing it?

again, awesome! good job

that's friggin awesome!

not that it matters, I'm just curious - 24 frets is unusual... scale length match any actual guitars? fret spacing looks good, love that they space closer together up the neck. did you match actual spacing or just wing it?

again, awesome! good job

Actually, 24 frets isn't that uncommon.

There is a lot of free software that you can use online to give you the proper spacing for any type of guitar and any scale length.

Or maybe he just held an actual guitar up next to the paddle and made marks where they go.

Actually, 24 frets isn't that uncommon.

There is a lot of free software that you can use online to give you the proper spacing for any type of guitar and any scale length.

Or maybe he just held an actual guitar up next to the paddle and made marks where they go.

wasn't there recently something in the "funny things overheard" thread about "well, actually..." ? ;)

I asked because Les Pauls and Strats have 22, Martin d-28 and Gibson Hummingbird have 20, just seemed like 24 was unusual. guess I'm wrong. ain't the first time, won't be the last.

don't think it would take much effort to match spacing all the way up the neck, it would just add to the already awesome cool factor of his paddle

well, it would be beyond my skillset; I dang near burned out the motor on my drill trying to drill holes in my mashpaddle before I realized I needed to reverse the rotation of the bit

that's friggin awesome!

again, awesome! good job

I held up another guitar then just eyeballed the rest so that it looked right for the length of paddle I wanted. Not so sure about the playability of it!

wasn't there recently something in the "funny things overheard" thread about "well, actually..." ? ;)

I asked because Les Pauls and Strats have 22, Martin d-28 and Gibson Hummingbird have 20, just seemed like 24 was unusual. guess I'm wrong. ain't the first time, won't be the last.

don't think it would take much effort to match spacing all the way up the neck, it would just add to the already awesome cool factor of his paddle

well, it would be beyond my skillset; I dang near burned out the motor on my drill trying to drill holes in my mashpaddle before I realized I needed to reverse the rotation of the bit

HA! I remember that backwards drill posting!

I'm not all that versed in what guitars have how many frets, but I know some of the "Heavy Metal" guitars from the 80's had 24 frets, like Ibanez etc. I have short fingers, so 22 is about all I can handle anyway.

I learned about the software when I started gathering information on making a Cigar Box guitar. Even printed a neck layout with it.

Know what i wish were still being made? Scalloped necks! Yngwie Malsteen! :rockin:

I held up another guitar then just eyeballed the rest so that it looked right for the length of paddle I wanted. Not so sure about the playability of it!

Buy a cheap bridge and string it up! You only have to cut some slots for the fret wire and press them in too!

Then you have a guitar to noodle on during the mash rest.

Awesome idea! I agree with the others who suggested you gotta make a Les Paul, Strat, Jaguar...you could go nuts.

Stirring with a real pre-CBS strat would definitely be considered Brewing Like a Boss (or use a Tele and brew like The Boss). Okay, getting carried away here.

Still a very cool idea and I wish I'd thought of it. I have a different idea but not posting until I've completed the paddle.

So now you guys got me thinking i can mash in by putting my 8x10 ampeg next to my tun and play something in drop d.

I'm thinking that would :rockin: for aeration

mine's not pre-CBS... just a '97 California, assembled in USA with US parts, shipped to Mexico for painting to bypass pesky environmental & child labor laws.

custom DIY electronics; JB Jr in the bridge, Lil' '59 in the neck. both single-sized humbuckers. tone knobs control those and are push-pull to split the coils

custom-painted pickguard was swapped out for US flag

Says it's 32" tall, so assuming that's outside dimensions and because it looks like you might be able to modify the freezer to get it out of the way, this might not be too bad of a kegerator mod!

Now the trick would be modifying the door to be able to fit speakers so you could at LEAST use it for a cabinet!

Back