Guinness in a can question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
Today the wife came home with nine 6 packs of mixed up biers from the Nob Hill store. No Miller, Bud or watered biers. They were plastic wrapped and sold as $3.99 a 6 pack. Seems kids shoplift or adults mix and match and the stores build up mixed bier 6 packs and sell 'em cheap.
I have a couple cans of 14.9 oz Guinness besides Porters, Stouts, Ales and Trummer Pils.

Question: what's that 30mm white plastic ball in the Guinness can for? I have 3 cans of Guinness. Lucky me 7 bottles of Black Butte Porter in the mix.

The widget is a nitrogen capsule. When you crack the beer open, it releases the gas into the beer. That is how they get the draft consistency.

Gee, it's been a long time since we got a "How do I get the widget out of a Guinness bottle?" They stop selling them?

Gee, it's been a long time since we got a "How do I get the widget out of a Guinness bottle?" They stop selling them?

Break it! :cross: They still have them here in AZ...just had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and to my suprise it too had a widget in it...haven't had a canned stout in a while...not bad!

Break it! :cross: They still have them here in AZ...just had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and to my suprise it too had a widget in it...haven't had a canned stout in a while...not bad!

I had no idea they had a widget, I'll have to pick some up. Thanks!

Would you have to use nitrogen to get the same effect out of a tap? What are the Pros and cons of using nitrogen? can you point me in the right direction if this is off topic? Can you put Nitrogen in a C02 bottle? probably some dumb questions in there...

I must add that can of Guinness was rather smooth with a thin creamy head but rather flat even when I poured it very slowly into my glass that is always waiting for me in the freezer. I always pour with the minimum amount of head and gas loss in a frozen glass. This way I can pour and wait 8-20 minutes before drinking depending on the temperature that matches the bier I'm drinking to release and enjoy the intended flavors. This has been one of the most flat of biers so far. Is this normal with Guinness in a can? Sorry no glass as this is how the 6 packs were shrink wrapped and bulk sold.

No needle nose plies needed as this was a 30mm round plastic ping pong ball inside. The P38 (WWII issue) on my key ring it was removed in 30 seconds.
What surprise is scared my cat tonight, guess not a toy for her. Thanks for the replies and what the heck it was, dummy me is still learning.

Would you have to use nitrogen to get the same effect out of a tap? What are the Pros and cons of using nitrogen? can you point me in the right direction if this is off topic? Can you put Nitrogen in a C02 bottle? probably some dumb questions in there...

You can get Nitrogen or beer gas (a Nitrogen and C02 mix), get a stout faucet, and viola! Cascade of tiny bubbles in your stout, just like getting a draft Guinness.

You can get Nitrogen or beer gas (a Nitrogen and C02 mix), get a stout faucet, and viola! Cascade of tiny bubbles in your stout, just like getting a draft Guinness.

A stout faucet and a mix gas will be added to my future brewery build system. My decision was made after the first glass of stout at a friends home brew house. Good point mentioning the stout faucet with mixed gas.

Dunno if an answer was ever posted for this, but it's quite easy. Just take some picture-hanging wire, twist a closed loop in the end just a bit smaller than the bottle opening, and go fishing. :) You hook the loop around the end of the widget and pull it out. The little flaps on the side prevent the loop from passing all the way up the widget. Much easier than the needlenose pliers IMO.

Back