Guess what #3 is on the 10 Least Profitable Businesses To Start List?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
No. 3: Beverage Manufacturing
Average Pretax Margin: -2.2%

This bucket includes wineries, brewing companies, bottlers, distilleries, soft-drink makers, ice makers and water purifiers. Plenty of competitors can crank out these commodities, and small fry don't have enough scale to compete.

Full Story

One of the main keys to success is to be too stupid to know when to stop.

According to the press of my company any ways.

Beverage manufacturing is a rather broad category. Lumping craft brewing in with wine and soda manufacturers makes very little sense. Soda is a commodity with little or no differentiation. Survey after survey shows that the most loyal of customers cannot identify their favorite cola! Small wine makers are more hobbyist than businesses. I've seen small breweries succeed and fail. The ones that fail had bad brews and/or were not functioning as a business. A business does not, as I saw one brewer do, stop making their most successful product because, "I was tired of making it."

david_42 said:
...A business does not, as I saw one brewer do, stop making their most successful product because, "I was tired of making it."
That right there is why I know I'll never become a professional brewer. Almost every batch I'm tweaking and changing and making new things. As soon as I'm just cranking out the same thing day after day, it becomes just another job.

Jobs suck... that is why I love flying, it is never the same day at the office, ever!

bradsul said:
That right there is why I know I'll never become a professional brewer. Almost every batch I'm tweaking and changing and making new things. As soon as I'm just cranking out the same thing day after day, it becomes just another job.

I brew new things a lot as well and enjoy experimenting with brewing. However I take pride in being able to brew the exact beer over and over again. It may not feed the creative mind, but it takes a lot of skill to do. which is probably why my recipes are as exacting as they are.

as the old adage says "farmers make wine and engineers make beer".

Back