Growlers to move beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I am on vacation this week at Cape Cod. Of course I had to do the tour at the Cape Cod brewing Co. From what I can tell they make home-brew just like we do. We left with a growler of Red Ale. What impressed me is that the beer they sell comes in a a half gallon jug with a screw on top. I think they keg the beer and fill the growlers from the tap. Screw on the top and sell it. If you already have some of their bottles I think they will refill them at a discount.

Here is my question - The growlers look like a real simple way to take a gallon or two of beer to an event. It probably is not a good long time storage method but looks to be very handy.

Does anyone else do this?

thanks, Mike

Sure, if you do it the right way, you'll get positive results. Search this topic and you'll find your answer.

They work very well in my experience, I own 3 of them. I have found that the flip top type keep your beer carbonated far longer than the screw top style after removing a pint. And a bonus is that you can condition/carb your brew in them to. They can be a little pricy I have picked them up for $20-$25.

growler.jpg

Biggest challenge for me is excess foaming when filling from the tap. What helps is dropping the serving pressure (duh), but also tossing the growler in the freezer for a bit before filling it. Cold growler = less foam.

Yeah, a growler should hold its carbonation and be good for at least a few days.

They work very well in my experience, I own 3 of them. I have found that the flip top type keep your beer carbonated far longer than the screw top style after removing a pint. And a bonus is that you can condition/carb your brew in them to. They can be a little pricy I have picked them up for $20-$25.

View attachment 32332

Those work really well. Fiance picked one up at Ommegang and had it filled at the brewery. She didn't actually open it up until well over a month later, and it tasted fine.

When I fill growlers from a keg, I use a length of acrylic bottling wand tube stuck in a picnic tap. The end of the tube is cut off at an angle. You want to fill from the bottom and cap on foam.

I don't bother turning down the pressure. The 8 feet or so of 3/16" beer line, 18 inches of bottling wand, and cold growler keep foaming down enough for medium-carbonated beers to be packaged with just a little loss.

I really like my Russian River growlers (except they're a little awkward to pour from):
IMG_6376.JPG

The microbreweries around me all use growlers to sell their beer. Some of the beers you can only get in a growler... conveniently enough it's those growler selling guys that got me interested in this hobby. As for how long beer can last in them, from a keg I've been told 3 days is really the max. I can't attest to that, the longest one has lasted around me is about 6 hours.

They make poly-seal growler caps which work better than the regular caps.
944Play had the right idea about filling from the bottom and capping on foam. I've had growlers last 4 weeks like that. Once it's opened, you need to drink it all.:mug:

In my experience a growler will hold its carbonation for 2-3 weeks if you don't open it. Long term is not something I associate with growler.

The important part here is "if you don't open it". I wouldn't expect much if any beyond 48 hours once opened. I have never had one go longer than that....of course they never got the chance.:ban:

Latest posts

Back