Growler tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquaman

Reaction score
I've started kegging my beer, but I like taking beer with me to parties. How well do growlers work for this?

Do I need anything but a piece of tubing attached to the faucet to fill the growler from the bottom?

How long does the beer last in the growler? (In case it’s a lame party and there are leftovers.)

I just turn down my psi to 2-4 and bleed down the tank. Then tilt the growler as much as possible while filling right out of the tap. It takes about two minutes and works well.:mug:

The beer will last until it's opened then a day tops.
If it's a lame party, don't worry you'll have 4 pints to drink!

Filling is easy and a tube will help greatly. The carbonation is much better maintained with a tube and bottom fill.

If you are talking about the screw cap growlers, they should be consumed within 24 hours.

If you are talking about swing top growlers. They hold pressure and seal just fine and can hols beer indefinitely. These are more expensive, but work way better IMHO and are worth the cost if you take growlers with you regularly as I do.

Growlers are great for this. I'm using mine tomorrow. No need for sanitizing, just fill it up with a tube (or racking cane, bmbf style without the stopper).

I've used those polyseal caps a bunch of times and they're.....ok. Not great, not bad just ok. Maybe you'll get 2 or 3 days where you might have only gotten one before. If i know i'm going to bring a bunch of growlers to a party i freeze my growlers and turn the keggorator temp down as low as i can. This REALLY helps limit the amount of foam i have to battle.

I've used those polyseal caps a bunch of times and they're.....ok. Not great, not bad just ok. Maybe you'll get 2 or 3 days where you might have only gotten one before.

im surprised to hear this. i have kept beer in growlers using these for months with no loss, I've even primed and conditioned in growlers ( i know its not recommended but i do it anyway, call me a rebel if you will) and i have never had a problem with the caps leaking co2. knock on wood.

I've kept bigger beers in growlers for a year and they were great. Just opened a stout that was a month old (regular cap) and it was fine. I've used the polyseal caps for long storage. I fill my growlers all the way up, no head space. Beer is already fermented out and no worry about over pressurizing and breaking. If you can, beer should be consumed same day you open it. Okay the next day but not as good. I have a half dozen growlers in my frig at any one time and have yet to have a bad one.

That is your first post. How do i know your not someone else who made a new account just to double trump my imput. HAHA thought you were pretty smart didn't you..... Well not today!

I went to work yesterday at 0730 and i'm still here going on hour 36 so you'll have to excuse my posts as of late.

A swing top growler is just another bottle....its the same as opening say a grolsch bottle and recapping. I get mine filled from the tap. If anyone knows other ways lemme know, but i have preferred more hoppy beers if i know im not gonna finish in one night (it just tastes a lil better the next day) Just a but flat....

Donthoseme- Yes it is my first post!!! Had my son Ask a few questions for me before I signed up. Thanks for the welcome! Sorry I even said anything.

I have used the screw on cap growlers for a long time and had several beers in them for over a week without any problems but once opened its more like a few hours not a day

Back