growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might give you an idea....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/growler-goes-boom-63121/;)

there's a tons of threads on this. You have to realize that they are meant to hold already carbonated beer, NOT beer carbonating, where the pressure is built up the forces itself into solution. Some folks will say they have no problem, but others like above will say differently. To me, I sure as heck wouldn't want to play Russian Roulette with my beer.
Nor would I want to risk 30 bucks trying in a fancy growler either.

to clarify - i'm carbonating beer in kegs and then will fill a 1/2 or 1 gallon glass jug from the keg and put in the fridge to drink for a day or two

i started to wonder whether the the co2 in the beer, after a while, would build up in the the glass jugs to a breaking point?

i would never carbonate in a jug or carboy

Then you're fine, that's what growlers are meant to be. To take kegged carbonated beer and be able to store it and transport it. And in that case those fancy ones are really awesome.

no you shouldn't have any problem. Especially if you keep them cold. The only way the pressure will build up too much would be if you filled them very cold and then brought them up to high temps.

Back