Growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wamphyriification

Reaction score
I have decided to start brewing in 6.5 gallon batches and my plan is to keg 5 gallons and use six 32 oz growlers for the remaining 1.5 gallons.

1. Are growlers suitable for this?
2. If yes to number 1, do I add a pinch of priming sugar?

1. NO!
2. See Question #1.

Growlers are not capable of containing the pressure of priming beer. Their intended purpose is for transporting finished beer from the keg to the party, or form the brewpub to the home.

However, 2L pop bottles have been used by a lot of people for priming beer.

If your growler looks like this, you can carbonate in it:
growler.jpg

If it looks like this, you can't:
pport-growler.jpg

I would scale down the recommended 5 gallon batch size priming sugar to 1 gallon and go with that as the amount of sugar to prime your unkegged beer.

i think a growler would work. they have an air tight seal. but they lose carbonation quickly with each opening. its been my experience that growlers come in half gallon (64 oz.) or 2 liter (67 oz.) not 32 oz. but that is neither here nor there.

it may be hard to measure out the correct amount of priming sugar for a 32 oz serving. might think about using carb tabs or the like. you may also want to look into getting a beer gun set up. its expensive but might be worth it.

I speak from experience. If you bottle in Grolwers you will get growler bombs. The glass is not intended to withstand the pressure. the fancy ones with the metal handle should be OK.

Thanks for the feedback. Growler bombs..too funny!
Totally new to bottling but based on feedback I guess I will use 12oz bottles. I dont want to prime the 5 Gal in the keg, so what is the best way to bottle the last 1.5 gal and prime it?

Thanks...this forum is the best!

1/2 gallon of beer and yeasty beasties all over my carpet tells me that american style unfancy picture number 2 growlers are NOT ok to bottle in.

Just prime in bulk and you won't have to try to prime individual bottles. Just add your priming solution to a bottling bucket (you might have to get a bigger ale pale from the brew shop and install a spigot) and then fill your keg and bottles.

If you really don't want to do that, then you can get Coopers Carbonation Drops for the bottles. Easier than trying to measure amounts that small.

And just in case you need any more convincing not to bottle in growlers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/exploding-growlers-89246/

Use 1/2 tsp of priming sugar per 12oz bottle to carb if you want to do it bottle by bottle this might be the easiest way for a small number of bottles

Back