Growing hops on a metal roof???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmahler

Reaction score
I have a shed on my property with a metal roof. I was thinking that maybe I could plant my hops on the west side of the shed (south side won't work), run them up the side, and up the grooves to the top of the shed (around 25 feet total). I'm in northern Iowa, and it gets pretty hot in the summer here, just wondering if you guys think that the hops basically sitting on the hot roof would hurt them? They would get plenty of sun at the top of the roof...but would it be too much?

Just to give an example... I live in the HOT desert southwest, so it's already hard for me to keep my hops alive due to the dry heat. A couple of my plants that are planted close to rock walls suffer greatly from the heat radiating off of the rock wall, so I can only imagine what metal would do.

Do you think the fact that we have very high humidity would help? I think I know the answer...

Do you think the fact that we have very high humidity would help? I think I know the answer...

I kind of doubt it, but I guess it depends on your average high temp for summer. With that said, probably only very mild, cool climates would work with this.

In the end, I suppose there's really only one way to find out. Plant some, and see what happens.

Back