growing fuggle and goldings in the south.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
I really want to plant a bunch of fuggles and goldings for my english-style beers, but im wondering how the climate and soil in SC will affect the flavor of them, will they be recognisable or completely "americanized"? Im not looking for total autheticity really, just similar flavor contributions.

Interesting question.

I'm growning Fuggles and Golding too in OH. They are second year, and I will get to try them this year for the first time.

As long as the strains I bought are correct, I am expecting them to taste right. I hadn't really considered climate to be a factor until you mentioned this. I use Maris Otter for my bitters because it is a "winter" malt, so climate obviously has a large bearing on barley, so why not hops too?...........Hmmmmmm

I think that winter barley is a separate variety. Its not just barley grown in the winter. So the analogy doesn't apply.

If you can get the hops to grow in your area, they should taste the same as those grown anywhere else. If not, you will have to grow an American variety that is similar to the one that you want. Another factor is yield and disease resistance.

In "Radical Brewing" Randy Mosher says that varieties will generally hold true to their characteristics with some variance despite where they're grown.

i'm growing a few varieties in SC but no fuggles or goldings. Only problems i'm having are jap beetles and the heat, these 100 degree days and are no good, i've got mine in partial shade by the river. Cascades turned out nice, i've got a batch goin right now with some wheat I grew last winter.
Try to find a cool place with a good breeze if you can, with about 7 hours of direct sunlight. also depends on what kind of soil you have...

I am in GA and I must say that the goldings I am growing, 2nd year now, and it has never gotten above 6" tall. I attribute that to the heat in GA. My cascades, however, are growing like a champ.

we're still worried about the rumors of growing in the ohio valley but our second year hops are going pretty strong. fuggle and willamette, not so much.

we're still worried about the rumors of growing in the ohio valley but our second year cascade hops are going pretty strong. fuggle and willamette, not so much.

Fuggles is a low yield plant. I planted 2 fuggles to one EKG (Medium yield) for this reason. My Fuggles are doing well, but my EKG are going ballistic! Most American hops will do better than these two.

From years of reading, I've gained the impression the Goldings is very climate and soil sensitive. Many of the UK Goldings are genetically the same (per USDA), but have distinctive flavors depending on where they are grown. Fuggles, on the other hand, seems to grow well just about anywhere and doesn't vary much. It is a low yield type though.

I have first year Cascade and Fuggles here in GA and the difference is amazing. The Fuggle is drag-assing, maybe 12-14" tall while the Cascade is 12-14 feet tall. Willamette may do better but I think I'm going to replace the Fuggle w/ Centennial next year. I've got the Homebrewer's Garden at home and it has good suggestions for hardiness and yield. I'll take a look at it tonight and update then.

Back