Grow your own beer garden.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
I thought this was pretty funny...My friends on facebook all know that I'm a home brewer so when they came across this they posted it onto my wall.

Seems like a nice enough idea but I can't imagine this thing holding enough ingredients for more than a 1 gallon batch of beer :) Still could be a fun experiment. :D

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2010/06/grow-your-own-beer-garden.php

From link below:
-This level of malt use works out to about 21 spikes of barley in a 12 oz bottle of beer.

-The average American, drinking their 20 gallons of beer per year, consumes about 21 pounds of barley which requires about 0.008 acres (336 square feet) to produce.

This takes into account most beer in their "average" is BMC with lots of adjuncts so you should get at least 400 of those things to be on the safe side.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/barleypath/barley&beer.html

I've seen that on ThinkGeek. Pretty sure AZ_IPA (or one of the Arizona HBT'ers) has been growing that. I almost bought it for my office.

The average American, drinking their 20 gallons of beer per year

My teachers always said I was average, but now I know that I am actually quite exceptional, at least when it comes to this stat! :mug:

Old news.

In fact Az-IPA has a thread about actually using it to make beer.....Sort of.

Sorry about that It was new news to me...I don't frequent the forums enough to catch every topic so I must have missed that one a few times...Because when I clicked the link you posted you mentioned how it was getting old (and that was in Feb) Sorry for re-posting!

TopherM said:
My teachers always said I was average, but now I know that I am actually quite exceptional, at least when it comes to this stat! :mug:

You can say that again !! I drink closer to 20G a month than a year !!

I've seen that on ThinkGeek. Pretty sure AZ_IPA (or one of the Arizona HBT'ers) has been growing that. I almost bought it for my office.

Old news.

In fact Az-IPA has a thread about actually using it to make beer.....Sort of.

I have some pointers for anyone wanting to try this...

1) open the package
2) throw away the hop seeds
3) throw away the "terrarium"
4) direct sow the wheat/barley
5) watch in amazment as it sprouts and grows
6) watch in more amazment as it all wilts and dies

:eek:

(seriously, as pointed out in my thread, it was growing nicely - well the wheat and barley at least - but it got root bound quicker than I thought, and when I went to transplant in late May we had a late frost/snow storm & ~5 days of 50-60mph winds. They didn't stand a chance...)

Back