Grolsch Gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemBrew

Reaction score
Some of my last brew lacked carbonation. I believe that the problem is leakage from the grolsch-style bottles. I've only used these gaskets twice previously. My dilemma is that I have yet to acquire new gaskets and I have beer that needs to be bottled today.

I was thinking of flipping the gaskets over in order to get a tighter seal. Has anyone done this?

My other idea is to bend the wires slightly to clamp the cap down tighter.

Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks. -ChemBrew

I guess that would be the easiest solution. My only problem with doing that is the IPA has already been fermenting for 11 days and I'll be unable to get new gaskets until tuesday evening. I just didn't want to leave the beer in the fermenter that long.

Flipping the gasket will probably do the trick. You should flip them around once every two brews, once they look worn out or flat replace them.

ChemBrew said:
I guess that would be the easiest solution. My only problem with doing that is the IPA has already been fermenting for 11 days and I'll be unable to get new gaskets until tuesday evening. I just didn't want to leave the beer in the fermenter that long.

Leave it. The extra time in the fermeneter will be good for it. Get the new gaskets, maybe even let it sit until next weekend. 3 weeks in primary (if not doing a secondary) would be minimum for an IPA, IMO.

Beerrific said:
Leave it. The extra time in the fermeneter will be good for it. Get the new gaskets, maybe even let it sit until next weekend. 3 weeks in primary (if not doing a secondary) would be minimum for an IPA, IMO.
Yep, agreed. Leaving it in the fermenter for an extra wek or so won't hurt it a bit, and it might even help some.

And flipping the gaskets doesn't really work. I have tried that. Just spend the 10 cents and get new gaskets. If you get the more expensive neoprene ones, they last a lot longer.

I left my last IPA in the fermenter for 5 - 6 weeks and it turned out great let it be and get the new gaskets.

Flyguy, Where do you get the neoprene ones? I've seen the gaskets on several sites but none identify them as neoprene. Could be rubber from the looks of them. I've bot a bunch of acquired fliptops that will need them.

Thanks,
BP

BrianP said:
Flyguy, Where do you get the neoprene ones? I've seen the gaskets on several sites but none identify them as neoprene. Could be rubber from the looks of them. I've bot a bunch of acquired fliptops that will need them.

Thanks,
BP
A couple of my local LHBS's sell them, and PaddockWood.com does/used to. I thought they were available pretty much everywhere.

They look just like the rubber ones, except they are a REALLY deep vibrant red colour. They work really well too.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help you much.... :eek:

Looking at the pictures online I can kinda see the difference between the pink rubber ones and the darker red ones. I have a mix of both on the bottles I have now. Probably safer to pick them up from my LHBS to make sure.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
BP

ChemBrew said:
Some of my last brew lacked carbonation. I believe that the problem is leakage from the grolsch-style bottles. I've only used these gaskets twice previously. My dilemma is that I have yet to acquire new gaskets and I have beer that needs to be bottled today.

I was thinking of flipping the gaskets over in order to get a tighter seal. Has anyone done this?

My other idea is to bend the wires slightly to clamp the cap down tighter.

Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks. -ChemBrew

Hey Chem,

I too use those Grolsch-style flip-tops and sometimes get a problem with the washers not sealing. What I do first is adjust that little wire cage in a way that a tighter seal is formed upon closing the cap and that seems to work.

OTOH when the washer breaks or splits, I have a supplier that has them in stalk.

:mug:

Thanks for your replies. Here's a follow up:

I ended up buying new gaskets before I bottled the batch. I still had some problems. Just to let you know, I use two types of bottles.

1) Grolsch-style bottles from LBS (Plastic stoppers/rubber gaskets [replaced])

These are the ones that I previously had trouble with and replaced the gaskets. Similar to my last time, only about 25% of the bottles had carbonation. The rest were flat and had some strange off flavors.

2) Actual Grolsch bottles (ceramic stoppers/neoprene gaskets)

Never had any problems. Very carbonated. Taste great.

Both types of bottles seem to close with the same amount of pressure on the stopper. Now I'm thinking that the ceramic/neoprene combination simply seals better than the plastic/rubber. Does anyone know where I can buy just the CERAMIC stoppers? (I want switch the swing top assemblies) I see plenty of sites selling the plastic ones, but I specifically looking for the ceramic ones now. Thanks.

Papillon said:
Hey Chem,

I too use those Grolsch-style flip-tops and sometimes get a problem with the washers not sealing. What I do first is adjust that little wire cage in a way that a tighter seal is formed upon closing the cap and that seems to work.

OTOH when the washer breaks or splits, I have a supplier that has them in stalk.

:mug:

I've got a case each of Fischer and Grolsch bottles but only half a dozen good washers. Care to share the name, address, e-mail address, and/or URL of your supplier?

ChemBrew said:
Thanks for your replies. Here's a follow up:

I ended up buying new gaskets before I bottled the batch. I still had some problems. Just to let you know, I use two types of bottles.

1) Grolsch-style bottles from LBS (Plastic stoppers/rubber gaskets [replaced])

These are the ones that I previously had trouble with and replaced the gaskets. Similar to my last time, only about 25% of the bottles had carbonation. The rest were flat and had some strange off flavors.

2) Actual Grolsch bottles (ceramic stoppers/neoprene gaskets)

Never had any problems. Very carbonated. Taste great.

Both types of bottles seem to close with the same amount of pressure on the stopper. Now I'm thinking that the ceramic/neoprene combination simply seals better than the plastic/rubber. Does anyone know where I can buy just the CERAMIC stoppers? (I want switch the swing top assemblies) I see plenty of sites selling the plastic ones, but I specifically looking for the ceramic ones now. Thanks.
I would recommend bending the wires a bit on the ones that leak to see it they tighten up some.

Thanks HBer, but I've tried bending the wires and had little success. Now I only use flip-tops that have a ceramic stopper and haven't had any problems.

Back